A Lee & Sons Meadowhall

I hear that the old A Lee plant is being raised to the ground.

I would dearly like to get together a list of those who worked there and who could pass on their memories.

It would be a shame indeed, if the history of this old Company were to be lost.

If anyone feels they could contribute, please post on this forum and I will pass on my email address.

My father worked there as a shunter on the works railway, he used to work such long hours 12 per weekday and 6 on a Sat + Sun.

See thread titled-

Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd.

Started January 2. 2008.

Hi Cynthia,

I do realise that there is a thread entitled Arthur Lee and Sons but it has gone rather quiet and a few of us are seeing the leveling of the site as being a wake up call to collect together as much information as possible on this wonderful old company.

We want many more former employees to tell their stories and their memories and if enough come forward we could arrange a reunion and talk about setting up a "Friends of A. Lee"

I would hope that we could enlist the family and in particular Mr Peter W Lee.

Mark Gleadall has uncovered some photos and I will search through my basement for others.

Any information you have would be much appreciated.

My father worked there as a shunter on the works railway, he used to work such long hours 12 per weekday and 6 on a Sat + Sun.

Hi Alligin,

I can visualise clearly the Engine Driver and the shunter but can't remember the names. Could you post them here so that it may remind others?

We would like to create a register of all former employees.

Hi davidstorer

my fathers name was Lewis Fowler, can't remember the engine drivers name but I think he used to live near Page Hall.

Hi Cynthia,

I do realise that there is a thread entitled Arthur Lee and Sons but it has gone rather quiet and a few of us are seeing the leveling of the site as being a wake up call to collect together as much information as possible on this wonderful old company.

We want many more former employees to tell their stories and their memories and if enough come forward we could arrange a reunion and talk about setting up a "Friends of A. Lee"

I would hope that we could enlist the family and in particular Mr Peter W Lee.

Mark Gleadall has uncovered some photos and I will search through my basement for others.

Any information you have would be much appreciated.

i had 2 brothers worked there al there lives george was a wire drawer charlie worked in the wire wharehouse i had 2 spells there 1 in 1947 i was d rum lad on the old mill when came out of the army i was sticker in on the robinson wilf roper was the forman roller i think in knew more about the job than him and i did a spell cutting stailess for razer blades i forget the exact name for the job

yours a woollen

Hi davidstorer

my fathers name was Lewis Fowler, can't remember the engine drivers name but I think he used to live near Page Hall.

Hi Alligin,

Yes of course, Lewis Fowler. He was a really lively lad when I was an apprentice and must have covered miles in a day. He was up and down on the loco like an athlete and he didn't carry any spare weight. The thing that strikes me now is that they were ordinary people doing really important jobs and they were never properly appreciated even at Lee's. Sadly the loco went and everything then came in by road. I will put him on my list.

My route to Lee's was over the railway at that time and does anyone remember the stink created by the Union Carbide electrode factory just on the other side?

I have no doubt now that it was harmful and they (Union Carbide) had a big problem in India later.

i had 2 brothers worked there al there lives george was a wire drawer charlie worked in the wire wharehouse i had 2 spells there 1 in 1947 i was d rum lad on the old mill when came out of the army i was sticker in on the robinson wilf roper was the forman roller i think in knew more about the job than him and i did a spell cutting stailess for razer blades i forget the exact name for the job

yours a woollen

Is it Albert Woollen? Were you and your brothers at Crown or at Meadowhall?

I seem to remember George and Charlie at Crown works but I can only vaguely remember the hot mill operating at Crown. Is it possible that Wilf Roper Snr. worked at Crown before Meadowhall where he was in charge of Cold Rolling? From your description it sounds more like the Crown hot mill than the "cross country" Meadowhall hot mill. On the other hand if you were slitting razor blade material it must be Meadowhall.

Whatever, it is good to hear from you and to recall old friends and colleagues.

Hi David,

I have my fathers Indenture papers. Signed by Arthur s. Lee. Secretary and

Percy Lee. Director. they are dated 17th. May 1915.

Unfortunately they are not in good condition as my father had them in his tool box.

Is it Albert Woollen? Were you and your brothers at Crown or at Meadowhall?

I seem to remember George and Charlie at Crown works but I can only vaguely remember the hot mill operating at Crown. Is it possible that Wilf Roper Snr. worked at Crown before Meadowhall where he was in charge of Cold Rolling? From your description it sounds more like the Crown hot mill than the "cross country" Meadowhall hot mill. On the other hand if you were slitting razor blade material it must be Meadowhall.

Whatever, it is good to hear from you and to recall old friends and colleagues.

it was at wincobank my name is arthur iworked in cold rolling

Hi David,

I have my fathers Indenture papers. Signed by Arthur s. Lee. Secretary and

Percy Lee. Director. they are dated 17th. May 1915.

Unfortunately they are not in good condition as my father had them in his tool box.

Hi Cynthia,

I don't know how this is going to work out but there are a few people who think the A Lee company should not be forgotten and that it was part of the rich steel making history of Sheffield. To that end, we are collecting any documentation and photos that are relevant and I am going to create a data base of names that I can remember or that contact us through the forum.

Who knows we might be able to have a "Friends Of etc" and have a reunion.

If you could scan the indenture papers they would be a marvelous addition to our archive.