The 2009 Ashes Series Megathread

what is lacking with New Zealand and Englands teams are the Ozzies too good or are our teams missing something.

Is it the players or the coaches,maybe more incentives needed,bigger pay packet,championship bonus?

what is lacking with New Zealand and Englands teams are the Ozzies too good or are our teams missing something.

Is it the players or the coaches,maybe more incentives needed,bigger pay packet,championship bonus?

i dont think australia are much better at the minute to be honest, theyve lost a large part of their squad, warne, magrath, hayden, langer, gilchrist.

i think we miht possibly have a better squad, weve got a great chance of recapturing the ashes, our big players need to step up to the plate, i dont understand all the hype behind flintoff, what has he done since the ashes victory? nothing. Players like bell, strauss, cook and anderson are going to be vital for the success, i wish vaughan was still captain, hes a quality player, just went through a bad run of form with the bat, like every batsmen

Before christmas when they lost at home to South Africa, they seemed in meltdown and a win in the West Indies would have put us on the front foot.

Now though we seem to be self doubting again.

Don't assume that just because warne, magrath, hayden, langer, gilchrist have gone they will bring over a load of numpties.

For many it will be a first time ashes series, not wanting to lose & return without them, etc etc.

Whoever they bring will give us a good game

Before christmas when they lost at home to South Africa, they seemed in meltdown and a win in the West Indies would have put us on the front foot.

Now though we seem to be self doubting again.

Don't assume that just because warne, magrath, hayden, langer, gilchrist have gone they will bring over a load of numpties.

For many it will be a first time ashes series, not wanting to lose & return without them, etc etc.

Whoever they bring will give us a good game

we did well against west indies, other than the first test, batted extremely well and bowled very well, but west indies shut up shop and defended very well. i never said they would be a rubbish side i just said weve got a good chance, weve got loads of competition for players now, that will make the players even hungrier to do well, we have vaughan, bell, bopara, shah competing for a 3rd bat spot, and now we have the new bowlers, onions etc breaking into the england setup, panesar cant even get in the side, we are capable of beating australia.

I don't think we can unfortunately.

I think we will be lucky to keep it close.

The batsmen don't score enough runs and the bowlers struggle to bowl the really top teams out twice.

The West Indies don't really seem like they want to be here at the moment so I don't think we can read too much into the current series.

Yes we can beat tem easil Sharon, Ozzie and the kids don't even knoe how to hold a bat never mind use one.

The Aussies need time to develop their new sqaud. I think this year will be the training year and blooding new players.

I still hope they do well - altough living over here has taken all the fun out of the game for me.

In my point of view we should attack australia instead of defensive and i think this is a better way to win the series.At the moment i dont think australia have a strong team when compared to previous series.

...At the moment i dont think australia have a strong team when compared to previous series.

| remember someone saying that exactly 20 years ago; just before Border's lot wiped the floor with us.

Never write them off or underestimate their competitive edge, especuially when faced with adversity.

weve got a really strong squad at the moment, weve got something we havent had in a while and thats strong competition for places, weve got shah, bell (who has scored loads of 1st class runs this year) and bopara all wanting the number3 position. we have a strong batting line up with still flintoff to come in.

we also have a really strong bowling attack, anderson is quality along with broad who can also bat, flintoff to come back in, swann who for me is our best spinner etc

we will beat the ausies only if they are oncrutches--sorry we dont win owt

All depends on the squad selection and who is fit to play this summer. We need Flintoff back and fully fit. Is the bowlers Jones back up and running? Would like to see Vaughan have a better summer with the bat and press for a test recall

England have a chance but would have to play to our fullest potential but I expect the Ozzies to squeak it