What's the likelihood of getting a council property?

I've just accepted an offer on my house but I won't be making any profit on it, in fact I'll be making a slight loss. I've sold it as I'm struggling to pay the mortgage on my own (ex who I bought it with left 3 1/2 years ago), plus I need to move to be closer to family for personal reasons. However I don't have the money to rent privately - I can just about afford the monthly rent but don't have any money to pay a months' rent upfront or the agency fees. Would I be eligible for a council property? If so, how long would I have to wait? I wouldn't want to live in it for good - just until I pay off my debts and save enough to be able to rent privately. My parents have said me and my son could move in with them in the meantime but they wouldn't want it to be for more than a few months - they are pensioners and having a toddler around would be quite hard for them.

Have I got any chance at all of getting a property with the council?

A x

Depends how many years waiting time you have and where you want to go. I have thirteen years and cant get a 2 bed house in south east sheffield.

very slim chance.

It might be worth your while registering with other social landlords/housing associations. Their rules differ from the council, so you may get something sooner from one of them. For some you have to be registered with the council, but for others apply direct. I'd try Places for People, Northern Counties, Yorkshire Met and South Yorkshire Housing Association for starters.

Link near the foot of the page here: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/homelessandhousingoptions/looking-for-a-home-or-needing-to-move/housing-association-accommodation

For the council, waiting time is your probable only option now. However, you haven't said if you've registered?

Not a chance. I have seven years bid on everywhere, the landlord has taken back possession of his house and they still wont help.

I think your chances are slim unfortunately. Good luck anyhow.

Because you have a child you should be entitled to priority housing by the local council. I would advise you to get advice from a CAB and then approach the council.

Approaching housing associations is also a good idea. You can find a list of local housing associations on the Sheffield City Council website.

Because you have a child you should be entitled to priority housing by the local council. I would advise you to get advice from a CAB and then approach the council.

Approaching housing associations is also a good idea. You can find a list of local housing associations on the Sheffield City Council website.

This is a misconception. Having a child does not automatically give you priority.

This is all based around vulnerability etc. But you still have to meet criteria - it's really not a case of walking in to the Council and them giving you anything just because there is a child involved.

try places for people my son was offered a flat (i know its not a house) ready to move in within the week if he filled out the form there and then.

Think you can get place overnight if you are on waiting list and you accept right (or wrong) place.

Contact Shelter - they offer very good advice.

This is a misconception. Having a child does not automatically give you priority.

This is all based around vulnerability etc. But you still have to meet criteria - it's really not a case of walking in to the Council and them giving you anything just because there is a child involved.

As she has a child her family is considered automatically vulnerable. Yes there would be other things the council have to consider such as “intentionality” and I could get technical, but it’s not really appropriate in this arena. I don’t have a misconception.

I think it is reasonable enough to tell the OP that she should be able to get assistance from the council and that she should take additional advice from a CAB. Especially considering all the other post’s said that she had no chance of getting council accommodation. They were more miss informed.