Driving to Nottingham

Since most of the M1 between Sheffield and Nottingham currently has a 50mph speed limit, I was wondering if there's a faster alternative route for getting there. Are all the A roads a nightmare as well? Any suggestions appreciated!

You can go down the A61 through Chesterfield, then out towards the M1 at junction 29, then cross the M1 and go through Mansfield to Nottingham via Hucknall.

I'd only recommend that if there's a serious problem with the M1 though. Even with a 50mph limit the M1 is going to be faster than slowing down to take dozens of roundabouts and sets of traffic lights, even before you counter in the 30mph sections in Mansfield and the long entry into Nottingham from Hucknall.

If you happened to be going from south Sheffield (or within really easy access to Bochum Parkway) to the Hucknall side of Nottingham then it could be an alternative, but it generally takes me half an hour to get into Nottingham from getting off the M1 at J27 and going on the Hucknall bypass anyway (visiting a friend on the north side of Nottingham).

The succinct answer is no. The M1 is still the quickest route, however Nottingham is a big place so the Ikea for instance is a no brainer to use the M1, but some areas can be easily reached via Mansfield (but it's a pain in the ass).

I travel it every couple of days - not that it makes me an expert, just experienced.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm going to have to stick with the M1 by the sound of it.....

Depends where you're going. I go 30/29a to 26/25 every day ( work in Beeston ).

29-28 you can skip by turning right and going the back roads accross the top of tibshelf, drop through huthwaite, and past the retail place to 28.

28 to 27, you can go in on the A38, and turn right at annersly fire station, down past the welfare, follow that road accross the motorway, turn left through the houses, right at the end, left and follow that towards 27 ( you double-back a little ), or even follow it to 26 ( past british bakeries ).

Mansfield / Hucknall tends to be busy !

THE BEST OPTION is to take the train if your destination is near a well served station !

It's bound to still be faster on the motorway. How long is the 50 mph stretch? About 15 miles? If so the difference between 50 mph and 70 mph average speed is about 5 minutes. No way will any diversionary route save you any time.

Usually always quicker on the motorway, especially going home.

The trouble in the morning though, is traffic queueing to get off at J28, which queues half way up tibshelf hill some times, blocking the inside lane, and also, for some reason in the last couple of days ( hasn't happened for a while before that ), the traffic queueing to get off at 26 can be queued all the way back to 27 - better to stick to the other two lanes and get off at 25 in those cases ( which is currently fairly quite in the mornings ).

just stick on the motorway, dont even think bout going through hucknall, its a long way in