Whats this on Matilda Street?

Continuing with my quest of photographing abandoned buildings in Sheffield, I was back around S2 this afternoon and took these 2 photos. I saw this building the last time I was there but didnt have time to capture it.

Can anyone tell me what it was in its former industrial days please?

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/syt2007/PICT0334.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/syt2007/PICT0335.jpg

It looks like some sort of mill to me but I would love to know what was produced there and when it closed. What company was there last?

I think the entrance must have been on Matilda Street but it was so overgrown and fenced off that I couldnt tell for sure. I took the photos from the car park behind which is on Shoreham Street.

The 1954 Kellys lists Housley and sons cutlery at the side of the river Sheaf.

The 1927 Kellys shows the whole site fom the river to Shoreham st as Joseph Smith Timber merchants.

1876 was Joseph Smith Timber plus a shop at 111 97 Deakin James and sons electro platers and Williamson bros cutlery manufactors.

1965 no 111 at the side of the river was called the Sidney works with a number of cutlery manuf listed.

Sheff 2006 - have you photographed the derelict Ritz cinema on Southey Green Rd?

It was Herbert Housleys Cutlery firm then when thewy closed it became the Yorkshire Art Space Society. Herbert Housley was instrumental in starting the W.O.R.K. project on Ringinglow Road,its for handicapped people and its a great project they make and sell all kinds of things,its well worth a visit.

Herbert has wrote a couple of books about his experiences in the Cutlerey trade and they are well worth a read.

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. It seems that area of the city was a gathering point for the cutlery manufacturers of years gone by!

The S2 area really does feel like a ghost town now with all the empty buildings. Is there anything actually still in operation around there? The Charles Kirby premises on Sidney Street looked still to be in use as it looked clean and had no greenery growing out of it but I dont think I saw any other well-kept premises.

Carosio, not ventured near Southey Green as yet. So far, Ive kept to the city centre, S2, S3, S4 and S9. Some areas more than others though.