Is this rumour about Morrisons Fuel, or fact?

How to destroy a companies reputation with hearsay.

Did you know they hung a monkey in Hartlepool because they thought it was a Frenchman?

Yeah, I heard that too!

I always buy fuel from Morrisons and have never had a problem. This will be a rumour started by Tescos or Sainsburys !

I always buy fuel from Morrisons and have never had a problem. This will be a rumour started by Tescos or Sainsburys !

not at all, its the damage you cant see that it seems to be doing, read the following -

Concerns about Morrisons B30 fuel

Email This Post

Could there be dangers in buying a high-blend biodiesel called B30 from your local supermarket?

An investigation by a consumer website has put B30 fuel sold at Morrisons forecourts across the UK under the spotlight. The fuel, which features a blend of up to 30 per cent biomass is recommended for use by all manufacturers.

However, several automakers fear that B30 could damage engine components and advise customers not to use it to fill-up pointing out that warranties will be invalidated. Morrisons website meanwhile, claims that the fuel is “compatible with most engines”.

Now industry body SMMT is talking to Morrisons urging it to improve the warnings on pumps that drivers should check with manufacturers before using the fuel.

The consumer website contacted 17 manufacturers and found that 15 did not recommend the product for their engines in the models quoted.

Jay Nagley, the website’s publisher, said: “Our investigation shows that, while some car makers say yes to B30, most remain concerned over the long-term effect on sensitive engine components.

“Of course, there may be an element of over-caution pending further tests. But for now owners who miss warning notices on pumps, or who ignore the advice of their car maker, risk invalidating warranties and paying for repairs further down the line.”

The research has been done by a 'consumer website' - who are these people?

How to destroy a companies reputation with hearsay.

Did you know they hung a monkey in Hartlepool because they thought it was a Frenchman?

heh on a related note, in our local paper the other week they showed somebody dressed up as a monkey opening some new kids playground thing in hartlepool, id have liked to be in on that meeting.

manager "and dress up as a monkey"

worker "**** off you do it"

manager "YOU WILL be the monkey"

worker "only if theres no rope around"

I know something about Morrisons, they seem to put their petrol up every other week.

I'm sorry, but I'll believe that there is an issue when I see some genuine proof that a) this fuel does indeed break the british standard in the described manner, b) that there is a proven detriment to engines from this breach of the standards and c) that this hoohaa about engines not running properly was not stirred up by some fuel snob or competitor.

I've never noticed a difference between supermarket fuel (of any sort) and garage fuel (of any sort). There was a difference between ordinary unleaded and premium unleaded on performance when using a performance bike, but other than that I think most of the perceived difference is down to fuel snobs (if I'm spending less on it, it must be cheaper in quality rather than lower price by choice of the retailer).

EDIT TO ADD- it's also worth bearing in mind when you read that manufacturers don't recommend a particular fuel mix that most also blank refused to honour any warranty claims of vehicles which had been run with any proportion of biodiesel (even when the warranty wasn't fuel related) until the government informed them that they had been running with 5% biodiesel for years without throwing a tantrum.

Edited by medusa

I'm sorry, but I'll believe that there is an issue when I see some genuine proof that a) this fuel does indeed break the british standard in the described manner, b) that there is a proven detriment to engines from this breach of the standards and c) that this hoohaa about engines not running properly was not stirred up by some fuel snob or competitor.

I've never noticed a difference between supermarket fuel (of any sort) and garage fuel (of any sort). There was a difference between ordinary unleaded and premium unleaded on performance when using a performance bike, but other than that I think most of the perceived difference is down to fuel snobs (if I'm spending less on it, it must be cheaper in quality rather than lower price by choice of the retailer).

This is my feeling too - I've never had a problem with supermarket fuel - the rumours will have been started by the fat cats BP and Shell.

I've used Morrisons diesel for a couple of years, no problems running or with emissions at MOT time, and get excellent MPG.

My dad and brothers all use the one at Catcliffe and have done for years with numerous cars. Again, no problems.

My local branch also has separate biodiesel pumps, although the price is the same so I've not tried it.

I did a bit of research and found that both types of diesel would be on offer when it is available, the standard 5% biodiesel content and the B30.

The quote I read said

" A number of outlets, including supermarket chain Morrisons, have begun providing the fuel, which is a blend of 70% per cent fossil fuel and 30% biodiesel. Normal, diesel only contains up to 5% biodiesel content.

It is quite easy to identify on garage forecourts, as the B30 biodiesel nozzle is usually located next to the normal diesel nozzle and is usually orange, whereas the normal diesel nozzle is black."

https://www.tuskerdirect.com/cgi-bin/view_article.cgi?artc_id=5685

If you don't want the B30 use the black nozzle pump

I'm sorry, but I'll believe that there is an issue when I see some genuine proof that a) this fuel does indeed break the british standard in the described manner, b) that there is a proven detriment to engines from this breach of the standards
British Standards can be a bit misleading as many of them are only codes of practice and don't have to be adhered to. I don't know if this applies to petrol/diesel and so even, if Morrisons fuel doesn't meet the relevant BS, it doesn't necessarily mean they are in breach of anything.