Legal age of drinking

You have to remain aware that if your opinion turns out to be wrong, and the person who looks at least 28 turns out to be only 17 - the checkout operator will be liable for a fine of £1,000. Not you, but THEY, since they are the ones who served.

Under which law, you can hardly blame the shops for refusing to show any such leeway and insisting that you prove they will not be breaking the law by serving you. If it was an offence to buy alcohol while under 18, things would be markedly different; but as far as I'm aware it is not. It's an offence to sell alcohol to a junior, and "they looked like they were thirty, let alone eighteen" is no defence at all. In fact, there is no defence; if you sold the booze and they are under age, you will be found guilty no matter what the circumstances.

and they'll get a criminal record, will probably get dismissed, the store manager will get fined out of his own pocket and the store will be banned from selling alcohol for 48 hours.

;5175894']They ask if you look under 21 or 25 in some cases but that doesn't mean they cant sell to someone under that age. If you're in a shop that uses think 25 and get asked for ID because you look younger the shop will still sell it to you if you produce ID showing its your 18th birthday on the day of purchase... :P

25 is becoming the standard this month.

... the store manager will get fined out of his own pocket and the store will be banned from selling alcohol for 48 hours.

The cashier getting a criminal record I thought was self-evident; I didn't know about these two, though.

As, indeed, is the case in the USA; indeed I believe it's illegal to sell alcohol unless you see identification (liquor, at least - the US laws seems to make a distinction between "liquor" and beer). The supermarkets are trying to treat a fine line between covering their own risk and that of their cashiers, and not annoying the customers by making pointless checks. If ever a case arises where someone does look 28 and turns out to be 17, you can be sure that they will resort to "challenge everybody" because it is the only way they can prevent their employees from being found guilty of a crime.

Only ever been asked for ID once in the US. Been quite a few times and at Universal Studios in Orlando they once asked. I was 27 at the time. They told me they're supposed to ask for ID from anyone who looks under 30. Apparently the fines are very, very heavy over there, and they'd risk the park being shut down (possible exaggeration I think!) if they sold to an under 21.

The situation with shops and their "21" or "25" rule is not law, its just retailers guidance to protect the company and employees from prosecution by the authorities for selling alcohol to underage shoppers.

Why don't the government just require proof of ID for all off sales of alcohol, that would get rid of the problem at a stroke. I realise that it would be more complicated in pubs etc. but it would solve the "bottle of plonk from your local Spar" problem and the embarrasment it seems to cause people who are old enough but might not subjectively look it.

Only ever been asked for ID once in the US. Been quite a few times and at Universal Studios in Orlando they once asked. I was 27 at the time. They told me they're supposed to ask for ID from anyone who looks under 30. Apparently the fines are very, very heavy over there, and they'd risk the park being shut down (possible exaggeration I think!) if they sold to an under 21.

The fines are indeed hefty in the states. The convenience shop my ex-husband worked for was fined $25,000 for selling to a minor; upon another offence, they will lose their license to sell alcohol, which would force them to close down. The cash registers in many shops in the US require a birthdate to be punched in before a sale will be made.

I work in a pub and have a "Personal licence" to sell alcohol, if I get caught selling to someone under 18 its a maximum £5000 fine for ME, the loss of my licence and probably my job. Its better to be safe than sorry

Tell you what, we should be chuffing grateful for what we have - I was in Edinburgh recently, and found out that not only do they still have the closing time law, but the cut off is 10pm!

I learned the first fact at 11.15pm in an off license, and the second fact at 10.15pm the next day. It was a frustrating time to be an alcoholic.

At the end of the day if you want to buy alcohol, carry id, its not rocket science!!

Tell you what, we should be chuffing grateful for what we have - I was in Edinburgh recently, and found out that not only do they still have the closing time law, but the cut off is 10pm!

I learned the first fact at 11.15pm in an off license, and the second fact at 10.15pm the next day. It was a frustrating time to be an alcoholic.

Similar in Dublin - we went last Easter for a break, got there easter friday ready to hit Temple Bar, only to be told that the bars don't open on Good Friday!! What's that about!!

I work in a pub and somebody who no longer works there got an £80 fine for serving an underage police cadet on a test purchase. I can't afford to pay £80 out, if I'm in any doubt I will ask.

Most people are OK, if they don't have ID I will advise them politely to get some for in future, but that I cannot serve them without ID, neither can anyone else buy them a drink. I always carry mine and I am 25 now.