Sheffield bands in the early to mid 80s

I remember those days with great affection. I remember my favourite band in the early to mid 80s were The Uncool Dance band. They played Sheffield a lot but not sure they were actually from Sheffield. I remember their songs were really catchy and if memory serves me right one was called I wish she was my girl?

I used to love watching their bass player who was a bit mad and always sang along to much of the songs to a mike stand - with no mic. Fantastic. I'd love to hear some of their songs again but I can't find anything about them.

Anyone else remember this era?

Hey there are a couple of uncool dance band songs to download and i have all the records from them, My dad was the drummer Steve Maxwell, there were from Doncaster.

Was the lead singer of Popups called Martin? Did a brilliant version of The Commodore's "Easy"

Sorry Markey, I only just found your question as I didn't receive notification of your post. Yes our singer was called Martin.

Hey there are a couple of uncool dance band songs to download and i have all the records from them, My dad was the drummer Steve Maxwell, there were from Doncaster.

Nice one. Have you got a link? Does your dad still play drums?

Tsi-Tsa Dingo,Daisy,Mick,John,Martin & Josie Top Band

Hello Carla - Its Me Daisy,

Just finishing a recording of a few old Tsi-Tsa number with MY KIDS playing the music for gawds sake. Still in regular touch with Dingo, John my Cousin and chatted briefly with Josie a few years ago. Mick went to ground and no one knows where he is at and I chat with Martin occasionally on Facebook through his wife's account.:)

We were always at the Mucky duck, watching bands.

It was a brilliant time, as for bands I think Resistance 77 are still going strong.

In the early 80's I saw some amazing local bands in the Royal on London Road, The Hallamshire, The George the 4th on Infirmary Rd and the Limit.

Anyone remember New Model Soldier, Artery, Scarborough Antelopes, In the Nursery. Repulsive Alien, Red Zoo, Bikini Atoll, and the early Pulp to name but a few.

There was an album out called Bouquet of Steel which featured tracks from local bands, it was an exciting time to be a fan of local music. Brilliant nights in the Hallamshire and The Beehive and great memories.

I have that album somewhere up in my attic, it came with a booklet giving a brief synopsis of the bands around at the time. The better known bands such as The Human League & The Comsat Angels weren't featured, due to contractual issues, but it was still a good record which sold very well, appearing in the new Indie charts.

My favourites at the time were Artery, The Deaf Aids & The Naughtiest Schoolgirl Was A Monitor. Also pre-Tube Mark Mywords (before he changed the spelling) was always good for a laugh

Also pre-Tube Mark Mywords (before he changed the spelling) was always good for a laugh

I have an audio tape of a gig by Mark Mywords at the Rotherham Civic Theatre in the 80s, which was recorded through the mixing desk. He was on the same bill as us (The Popups - formally Tension) where he did his poems and routines about a spray that makes yer farts smell nice, the musical based on an unemployed youth called, "That's Unemployment" and various other things.

Edited by xyZed

I have an audio tape of a gig by Mark Mywords at the Rotherham Civic Theatre in the 80s, which was recorded through the mixing desk. He was on the same bill as us (The Popups - formally Tension) where he did his poems and routines about a spray that makes yer farts smell nice, the musical based on an unemployed youth called, "That's Unemployment" and various other things.

My favourite was "The Rigmarole" about a lads night out on the town - spot on & very funny. One night I saw The Jam play the Top Rank then scooted up to The Limit for Mark Mywords, Joolz & Seething Wells, great night.

I met him a few times, down the Smoke, when he was playing the comedy circuit, as Mark Hurst. Hadn't changed at all - Top Bloke!

Paul from the Toy Shop here (Sheffield 1982-1985, winners of 1st Top Rank Battle of the Bands). Now living in Melbourne, Australia, I had an album out in 2007 on Damaged Goods label featuring songs from my pre-Toy Shop Leeds punk/new wave band Psykik Volts (3 or 4 old recordings plus many new recordings of P. Volts songs).

Just put 2 old Toy Shop Towerbell Records promo videos up on YouTube - links to follow.

---------- Post added 23-05-2013 at 10:16 ----------

http://damagedgoods.co.uk/band/?c=Psykik-Volts and http://www.myspace.com/psykikvolts

for unreleased version of The Maze and
for our single Attack Decade. Wish I still had that hair!

Tsi-Tsa Dingo,Daisy,Mick,John,Martin & Josie Top Band

Cheers Carla - Daisy here!