Sign in to follow this  

Indiscipline at Arsenal

Wenger says sorry

Press Association

Thursday September 25, 2003

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger issued a qualified apology for his players' loss of self-control at Old Trafford but still insisted that the ensuing condemnation of them had been an "over-reaction".

The Football Association have charged Arsenal as a club for failing to control their players, while six members of the first-team squad are also individually charged with misconduct.

That theoretically means that Martin Keown, Lauren, Ray Parlour, Ashley Cole, Jens Lehmann and Patrick Vieira could face suspensions totalling up to 20 games.

Wenger, meanwhile, has been asked to explain his outspoken post-match criticism of Ruud van Nistelrooy, whose clash with Vieira sparked the angry scenes during last Sunday's goalless draw.

The Arsenal manager had defended his players immediately after the game at Old Trafford and had issued no other public comment until today.

He declared: "I thought we over-reacted after the game and we apologise for that. I think we have to keep control of our behaviour in every situation.

"On the other hand, I think you could say that the media response was an over-reaction as well. It was not in proportion to what happened at all. That is maybe not surprising but also not right.

"We have to be conscious that we didn't behave in a perfect way like we should have, but also not to be too much victimised by what people say.

"If one of my players had tackled someone round the throat or hit somebody in the face during the game, I would feel much more shocked than I am.

"I have been in English football for seven years now and I have witnessed situations that were 10 times worse that were not punished.

"That doesn't mean we were right but it does mean that some people get away here with some things they shouldn't get away with."

While two Manchester United players have also been charged, Wenger seemed aggrieved at the scale - and speed - of the FA response against his own club.

"The FA response was quite quick as they react to the media reaction, that's all," he insisted.

"If you could imagine that the game had happened somewhere without Sky TV being there, nothing would have happened.

"The FA would not even have known about it. I was at the game and I didn't even know about what had happened when I went to the dressing-room.

"We just have to acknowledge that we were not right but defend our players and get things into the right proportion.

"I have spoken to the players and they acknowledge that they have to keep control and behave in a different way.

"But between what we've seen on football pitches and in corridors and what happened there, I think the response we got was an over-reaction. The media could be charged with over-reaction as well."

Asked if he was ashamed of any of his players' reactions, Wenger, whose side face Newcastle at Highbury tomorrow night, said in a radio interview: "I was surprised at what happened.

"Of course, you try to understand why and how it all went, but none of my players killed anybody.

"It will be a problem if they all get suspended, of course, but we will face that if it happens.

"The players are hurt. There was a big shock for us after the game but we have shown our strength before and we want to win the game tomorrow."

Originally posted by LouiseB

Wenger says sorry

Unusual. Wengers normal response is "I didn't see it". :lol:

Originally posted by Lickszz

Unusual. Wengers normal response is "I didn't see it". :lol:

I was waiting for someone to say that :roll:

Truth is, Arsenal has been a bunch of undisciplined thugs for well over a decade. I blame George Graham myself.

Perhaps if Arsenal weren't so violent and cynical, the Owls would have won both cups in...(thinks for a minute) 93? We'd have won the title a year later, the European Chanmpions League the season after that, culminating in the World Club Cup. And no-one would deny that Sheffield Wednesday were the greatest football club ever.

But look where we are now :cry:

yeah, it's all arsenal's fault that wednesday are cack!