Sign in to follow this  

Indiscipline at Arsenal

Just finished watching the Man Utd - Arsenal game, and have a question regarding the aftermath of the Van Nistelrooy penalty miss and the end of the game.

Should Arsenal be punished for the treatment they gave Van Nistelrooy?

And if so what should it be?

Also should Wenger be punished for the clubs indiscipline (59 different players sent off during his tenure, Vieira sent of 8 times and Keown 6)?

Originally posted by jayjay03

Just finished watching the Man Utd - Arsenal game, and have a question regarding the aftermath of the Van Nistelrooy penalty miss and the end of the game.

Should Arsenal be punished for the treatment they gave Van Nistelrooy?

And if so what should it be?

Also should Wenger be punished for the clubs indiscipline (59 different players sent off during his tenure, Vieira sent of 8 times and Keown 6)?

I don't think it would be fair to punish Wenger and how would you go about punishing him anyway? The club does get punished, key players get suspended and miss games and also probably get fined by their club. I am not 100% sure but I thought the FA could enforce a fine also on clubs with terrible disciplinary records. Also, it might be worth considering that it's much easier to pick up cards and get sent off these days although these can be later reduced on appeal.

its arsenal you know they'll get away with it.

If it was Sheff Utd on the other hand they would throw the book at us.

I hope the players in question at Arsenal are fined and suspended. I still can't believe how they reacted at the end of the game. They are supposed to be professionals and some of them are experienced internationals. It made me feel sick. But then I'm probably biased cos I support United! However, I still think their behaviour cannot be defended.

They should be made to lose 6pts.

This is an harsh financial punishment too as shares will fall too.

It is the only way they will learn.

6 points IS harsh!!

Our lads only have 4 points, so they would be on minus 2 in similar circumstances.....

I remember, or think I do, the Boro being relegated once on the strength of a points fine

Wasnt it something to do with Bryan Robson letting the players all be off sick?

Hit them where it hurts. Not with a fine as these clubs have more money than sense and it wouldn't affect them or make them change their ways.

Suspend them from playing a few games or knock off a dozen points.

The FA doesn't have the guts to do anything though.

Originally posted by LouiseB

6 points IS harsh!!

Our lads only have 4 points, so they would be on minus 2 in similar circumstances.....

I remember, or think I do, the Boro being relegated once on the strength of a points fine

Wasnt it something to do with Bryan Robson letting the players all be off sick?

I think that particular case was Robson didn't turn up for a match. Something about not been able to field a team. Which of course was nonsense.

I'm not the most impartial person (as I wrote above) but they all cheered in Ruud's face and pushed him about at the end of the game to say "Ha, f**k you. You didn't beat us and you missed the penalty". I guess their reaction was because they thought Ruud had made a meal of the challenge between himself and Viera for which Viera got sent off. Ruud and Viera were both jumping for the ball and Ruud half landed on Viera. Viera (now on the floor) went to kick out at Ruud but missed. Ruud jumped back and looked over at the ref with a shocked look on his face. Viera got booked for the intent of kicking out. He had already been booked so of course he was off.

Then the penalty was awarded for Forlan against Keown. They were both diving for a cross and Keown perhaps impeded Forlan, but I think it was possibly a soft penalty award. Then Ruud missed it... (Somehow I knew he was going to).

The whistle goes and a few of the Arsenal players started cheering in Ruud's face and pushing him. Disgusting to watch...

that and keown's amazing jump in the air and smack ruud VN on the back of the head

Eight players have been charged with various things. Keown with one for violent behaviour and one for improper conduct, Lauren with 2 counts of violent behaviour and 2 counts of improper conduct, Parlour charged with the same as Keown, and five others on lesser, singular charges.

I honestly think that Keown, Lauren and Parlour could all get at least five game bans.

As someone said on Sky Sports News, it sets a great example for kids to follow doesn't it.