LighterLife Diet

Really, I'm amazed. I've seen so much rubbish spouted about the diet industry, but your comments here are simply bizarre! Take food out of the equation? What, by not eating it?? Remove the food, so remove the obsession with it? :shakes:

So you don't think that, for example, they won't go running screaming for the nearest tub of Ben and Jerry's when they've gone without food for however many days?

I'm just... speechless.

Food is a serious addiction. Smokers can't really smoke again, alcoholics can't drink again. So what for the person addicted to food? Hmmm

You are missing the point of lighter life completely.

So what if for once in someones life they'll get to experience themselves without the mask of fat....ok maybe that won't last...maybe they'll return...but for that short precious period it'll be theirs to remember.

I've done this diet and I do appreciate both sides of the argument and wish to god I could have dieted normally too...but I couldn't. If it works and makes someone happy then please tell me why this is so bad...

into oblivion, it's the speed and the nature of the loss that we are concerned about.

too-rapid a loss is not good for the person's health. It can cause heart problems, and the quicker the weight comes off, the quicker it tends to go back on.

Starvation levels of nutrition are not healthy. the body goes into starvation mode, which makes it more likely that the weight will clap back on, and more, once the diet has ended.

PT

into oblivion, it's the speed and the nature of the loss that we are concerned about.

too-rapid a loss is not good for the person's health. It can cause heart problems, and the quicker the weight comes off, the quicker it tends to go back on.

Starvation levels of nutrition are not healthy. the body goes into starvation mode, which makes it more likely that the weight will clap back on, and more, once the diet has ended.

PT

Agreed but you're missing my point. And besides, the diet that many obese people have is surely more likely to be bad for their health than a diet which significantly lowers BP, quick or not. Lighter life has a maintenance programme specially designed to allow re education and re introduction of food so the weight will not return. It's up to the individual person if they are prepared to follow this or not.

over 3 stones down now.

How do you feel in yourself? Honestly, of course, without trying to flog the diet.

If you feel well in yourself, and youre only young, you probably havent done that much damage. Atkins has had its critics, but that diet induces ketosis too.

I wouldnt do either diets myself, but Im interested to hear how you feel.

Food is a serious addiction. Smokers can't really smoke again, alcoholics can't drink again. So what for the person addicted to food? Hmmm

Well, my first thought to that would be that unlike smoking and drinking alcohol, eating food is actually essential to sustain life. You can live without alcohol and cigarettes; infact you'll probably live a hell of a lot longer without them. As such, food and an addiction to it needs to be managed, not eliminated. Actually, I'd probably say that 'addiction' is the wrong word when it comes to the psychological aspects of some overweight people's relationship with food. Perhaps 'compulsion' might be a better concept.

You are missing the point of lighter life completely.

Yes, you're probably right. I forgot to include a detailed analysis of the amount of money the folk behind this 'diet' are undoubtedly raking in.

So what if for once in someones life they'll get to experience themselves without the mask of fat....ok maybe that won't last...maybe they'll return...but for that short precious period it'll be theirs to remember.

I've done this diet and I do appreciate both sides of the argument and wish to god I could have dieted normally too...but I couldn't. If it works and makes someone happy then please tell me why this is so bad...

I agree. If someone is overweight and desperate to lose the excess pounds, they'll undoubtedly feel a lot better about themselves when the pounds are gone. However, I repeat, replacing nutritious, healthy food with meal replacements is fundementally wrong.

It's been a while since I wrote my original responses above, but I know that others have since added their comments which have detailed the many reasons why this is the case, so I won't reiterate that here. I will just say that if someone needs a structured diet in order to lose weight, there are a few out there which might do the job. Weightwatchers, for example.

i feel totaly fine , and no i have not run for the nearest ben and jerrys at all. i have stuck to it religiously. and after the amount of time i have been on the diet i can safley say that i know a lot more about food now and that i would not put myself in a position to take it for granted again

how much have u lost now? are u still doing it?

Hi

I am thinking of embarking on literlife, how did you find it, and how do the cbt sessions run - honesly what is the food like?

how much have u lost now?

Hi there

I have not started it yet but wanted so honest reports of how people found the diet. I am desperate to loose some weight.:(

I hadn't seen this thread before, this 'diet' is appalling! The company is charging a ludicrous amount of money and taking advantage of vulnerable people.

It's unlikely those shakes contain an appetite suppressant. Drinking 4 and a half litres of water a day will greatly suppress your appetite in itself. It's a trick some people with anorexia nervosa use to stave off hunger.

Not eating any solid food for this length of time is likely to seriously affect your gastrointestinal function, probably leading to a nice dose of IBS which could remain with you for the rest of your life. There are plenty of people who suffer from this on the forum who could fill you in with all the nasty ins and outs of this illness.

im on the lighterlife plan and have to say its bloody torture.66 pound per week for supply of shakes and soups and i have tasted nothing like them in my life 3 times i vomited after them yesterday so guess i wont be sticking to another diet :(