Crookes valley lake drowning

Was it St George's?

Thanks for that boyfriday but someone else has stated that it could have been called Winter St hospital and I seem to think that could be the name but still unsure? ?

---------- Post added 12-09-2013 at 20:41 ----------

Winter street hospital

Thanks bullerboy that name seems to ring a bell someone else stated that it could have been called St Georges is it possible that they are one of the same.

I think more than one person has drowned here. I can remember a park keeper telling me that one day a mans body just popped up out of the water. I believe it was a suicide.

yes there was more than one the lake was said to be 40 feet in the middle

Thanks for that boyfriday but someone else has stated that it could have been called Winter St hospital and I seem to think that could be the name but still unsure? ?

---------- Post added 12-09-2013 at 20:41 ----------

Thanks bullerboy that name seems to ring a bell someone else stated that it could have been called St Georges is it possible that they are one of the same.

I think they're the same Jack.

It seems it has its own ghost too ;)

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147129

When i was growing up in the 70,s and was taken to the boating lake in crookes valley park i was told to be very careful of the water because a young girl had drowned in there ! was this true or just an old wives tale to scare me ? does any body know the truth ,thanks

I remember it well it was the summer of 1976 she was a young black girl and she was about 14 years old she was stepping from one boat to another and fell into the water and drowned although you can see the edge of the water for about ten feet out it then drops sheer to 42 feet deep and the dam is shaped like a bell upside down they had to fetch police divers in to recover her body very sad

I remember it well it was the summer of 1976 she was a young black girl and she was about 14 years old she was stepping from one boat to another and fell into the water and drowned although you can see the edge of the water for about ten feet out it then drops sheer to 42 feet deep and the dam is shaped like a bell upside down they had to fetch police divers in to recover her body very sad

can you remember any of the park keepers

can you remember any of the park keepers

I can remember faces of all of them but only a couple of names one was mr dawson he was head keeper of both parks ie Weston park and crookes valley park sadly passed away years ago one was frank he was head keeper in crookes valley park and lived in part of the old dam house and the other name I can remember was a little guy called burt or bert and that's it

I can remember faces of all of them but only a couple of names one was mr dawson he was head keeper of both parks ie Weston park and crookes valley park sadly passed away years ago one was frank he was head keeper in crookes valley park and lived in part of the old dam house and the other name I can remember was a little guy called burt or bert and that's it

I worked in there from about 70 Frank was there like you said on the launch a bloke called Harry ? on the rowing boats (the kids called him Hitler ) along with a young lad called Bob Kent and I worked on the bowling green (Terry Roe ) mr Dawson was the head man for both parks

I worked in there from about 70 Frank was there like you said on the launch a bloke called Harry ? on the rowing boats (the kids called him Hitler ) along with a young lad called Bob Kent and I worked on the bowling green (Terry Roe ) mr Dawson was the head man for both parks

I used to no a lad called tommy roe cante remember if he lived on summer street or Weston street really dark haired lad I think they moved in the slum clearences in the sixties and yes I do remember bob kent now u mention him my name is paul grubb and I spent all my growing up days in Weston park and crookes valley park and had fantastic times there infact I still live in the area lol I was born on Weston street in 1956 and left home in 1972 and they pulled our house down in 1973

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 10:43 ----------

I used to no a lad called tommy roe cante remember if he lived on summer street or Weston street really dark haired lad I think they moved in the slum clearences in the sixties and yes I do remember bob kent now u mention him my name is paul grubb and I spent all my growing up days in Weston park and crookes valley park and had fantastic times there infact I still live in the area lol I was born on Weston street in 1956 and left home in 1972 and they pulled our house down in 1973

also you say you worked on the bowling greens you must remember old burt I think that was his name a little old guy very weathered looking dark hair hands like shovels lol a really nice bloke

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 10:43 ----------

also you say you worked on the bowling greens you must remember old burt I think that was his name a little old guy very weathered looking dark hair hands like shovels lol a really nice bloke

Yes Paul I do remember Burt but I thought he worked in Weston park my memory is not good on him. I seem to remember your name I got to know a lot of the locals and the man on the greens was just retiring when I started there one of the girls I can remember was called Jenny she had ginger hair and lived on your road. I used to go fishing in there a few years later when all the park keepers were different, the lake was 40 feet in the middle we was always told

Yes Paul I do remember Burt but I thought he worked in Weston park my memory is not good on him. I seem to remember your name I got to know a lot of the locals and the man on the greens was just retiring when I started there one of the girls I can remember was called Jenny she had ginger hair and lived on your road. I used to go fishing in there a few years later when all the park keepers were different, the lake was 40 feet in the middle we was always told

yes you are right burt did work in Weston park but now and then he worked on the bowling greens I remember for wat reason I donte no but he used to swish the greens with a very long bamboo pole and vinny dawson bless him used to let us go in wat we called the old mans hut in Weston park and we used to play draughts and dominoes with the old guys in the winter because it had a old pot bellied stove in there and it was lovelly and warm and we spent hours in the old green house in Weston park too sadly due to vandalism and cut backs both the old mans hut and greenhouse have long gone

yes you are right burt did work in Weston park but now and then he worked on the bowling greens I remember for wat reason I donte no but he used to swish the greens with a very long bamboo pole and vinny dawson bless him used to let us go in wat we called the old mans hut in Weston park and we used to play draughts and dominoes with the old guys in the winter because it had a old pot bellied stove in there and it was lovelly and warm and we spent hours in the old green house in Weston park too sadly due to vandalism and cut backs both the old mans hut and greenhouse have long gone[/quote t]he long pole was to get rid of the dew and worm casts that had to be done every morning the hardest thing at first was getting the lines straight on the green . was you there when it didn't rain for weeks and all the grass banks turned brown the kids were all sliding down them on bits of cardboard