Crookes valley lake drowning

When i was growing up in the 70,s and was taken to the boating lake in crookes valley park i was told to be very careful of the water because a young girl had drowned in there ! was this true or just an old wives tale to scare me ? does any body know the truth ,thanks

No it's not an old wives tale.

It happened in the 70s and I think she was about 8 years old

Just looked on another site and found that she was called Beverley Wall and was a pupil at High Storrs, so I guess she was older than 8.

Apparantly she was a black girl with a gang of white boys and she was trying to climb from one boat to another...and there was some talk of racism

It's on a SF thread from 2003

Just looked on another site and found that she was called Beverley Wall and was a pupil at High Storrs, so I guess she was older than 8.

Apparantly she was a black girl with a gang of white boys and she was trying to climb from one boat to another...and there was some talk of racism

It's on a SF thread from 2003

A link to the thread you mention .. Here

Hi

Yes you are right there was a drowning in the lake at Crookesmoor Park. It was a young girl called Beverley Wall l knew her as l was a friend of her older sister Grace. They lived on the corner of Brunswick St and Broomspring Lane, she was at Springfield School at the time of her death.

Aww thanks:love:.....can't do links !!!

Thanks , was that the only death at crookes valley lake or have they been others over the years ?

I well remember the poor girl drowning in the lake. I just looked on findmypast.com - Beverley Anne Wall's death was registered in July-Sept. 1976 - there was a long, dry summer that year. She was 15 (born in Sheffield on 13 February 1961).

I believe more than one person has drowned in that lake over the years,we used to play in that area when i was kid in the early 50s. It's supposed to be extremely deep, i also seem to remember mention of some kind of motor launch used on the lake at one time.

I believe more than one person has drowned in that lake over the years,we used to play in that area when i was kid in the early 50s. It's supposed to be extremely deep, i also seem to remember mention of some kind of motor launch used on the lake at one time.

I think more than one person has drowned here. I can remember a park keeper telling me that one day a mans body just popped up out of the water. I believe it was a suicide.

I sort of remember the day it happened, I used to live on Harcourt Road, the rumour at the time was she'd got caught in the sludge and plantlife and couldn't get out. There was some implied racism involving the police and rescuers who failed in saving her. I can certainly remember a large group of blacks out side the corner gate being held back by the police, but can't remember any trouble occuring

How do you do the thing when one puts Here, please ?

A particular person has been having a go at me, and I would like to reciprocate, in Spades.

Many thanks.