1926/27 Parade / March in Sheffield

Hi .

I have a Great Aunt (87) who recalls her father George Rupert Shields being involved in a Parade /Rally or March around 1926/27 near Wicker Arches Sheffield (they lived in Danville St) She was around 5/6 yrs old and standing with her mother . Her father lifted her onto a truck or trailer as it passed by .

Shortly after this event my G.Aunt and her siblings where put in Fulwood Childrens home until end of their childhood . She has always felt this was connected in some way and believed her father was in prison for some reason ?

Anyone have any thoughts what this event may have been .

Dave .

what was the yr of the big union rally lots got beat & thrown in jail fm that march the two may not be connected

I am not sure if he was a Union man ,I think he worked at the Steel works at that time .and would have been about 39yrs old

Dave

Of course the big one was the 1926 miners strike &lots of non miners where present at the rally's,my own father was miner 1930 but before that you lived on what you could beg, borrow or in most case's steal,collecting boxs fallen from the railway & poaching wild (or tame )rabbits was a way of life, small wonder lots land up up in jail for a time,& when you no longer could feed your kids put them in Fullwood

On 30/06/2009 at 20:43, davygfuchsia said:

Hi .

I have a Great Aunt (87) who recalls her father George Rupert Shields being involved in a Parade /Rally or March around 1926/27 near Wicker Arches Sheffield (they lived in Danville St) She was around 5/6 yrs old and standing with her mother . Her father lifted her onto a truck or trailer as it passed by .

Shortly after this event my G.Aunt and her siblings where put in Fulwood Childrens home until end of their childhood . She has always felt this was connected in some way and believed her father was in prison for some reason ?

Anyone have any thoughts what this event may have been .

Dave .

Hi Dave,

Who was your great aunt?   She's probably my great aunt too.

Cheers

Graham

On 21st May 1926 George Rupert Shields, a moulder, lodging at 7/4 Danville Street, was fined £5, for stealing 25m shillings worth of iron belonging to Moorwoods Ltd, Harleston Iron Works, Sheffield, where he had been employed for many years.  He pleaded "guilty".  A boy named Robinson said that Shields asked him to sell some fire-grates and offered him 3d. for each one he sold.  The boy said he sold four and Shields gave him 3d.  Later he sold some more for 3 shillings.  P.C.Blakey saw the boy selling grates and questioned him, later finding seven grates at Shields' lodgings.  The grates were worth either 1s 6d or 1s 9d each.

In case it is of interest to anyone, I found George Rupert Shields in the "1939 Register" prepared on the outbreak of war. Here is a link to a scan of the entry for 100 Danville Street. https://i.postimg.cc/bJwFzXtf/0011.jpg