Sign in to follow this  

Identity Cards

(Merged :blush: )

I think this constant pit-patter of rain is distracting me... :P

It's the chip they already planted in your brain making things confusing, Geoff...the ID cards are just to draw attention away from this latest scheme:lol: :lol:

"A trial of identity card technology was launched on Monday involving 10,000 volunteers.

The move comes as draft legislation outlining plans for a national ID card scheme was published.

Home Secretary David Blunkett has defended the idea, saying ID cards could be an effective tool in the fight against terrorism.

Carrying false ID papers is to become a specific offence, with offenders facing up to 10 years in jail. "

Continued here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3658489.stm

(From : http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ican/A2319176):-

"Is Britain heading for an identity crisis? With the threat of terrorism and organised crime, the government has announced that it wants to introduce identity cards. Other countries have ID card schemes and the idea has support from law enforcers. But it has also attracted considerable criticism from civil liberties groups.

A six-month trial started in Jan 04

How will identity cards affect you? Are you comforted by the security they provide or afraid that Britain will become a big brother state? If you want to influence policy before it becomes law, this is the time to start.

What are the arguments?

For identity cards: The government and supporters of the scheme argue that identity cards are important because they will:

* Prevent illegal immigration: Lack of a card means illegal immigrants think they can arrive and disappear

* Prevent illegal working: They give employers a secure way of knowing if people are actually allowed to work. It’ll be easier to prosecute employers who break the law

* Aid anti-terrorism measures: It’ll be harder for terrorists and organised crime rings to use false and multiple identities

* Tackle identity theft: They’ll help protect against identity theft

* Reduce benefit fraud and abuse of public services: They will ensure that public services are only used by those entitled

* Enhance sense of community: ID cards will create a sense of shared citizenship and belonging

Against identity cards: Opponents say that identity cards won’t improve security. They will:

* Worsen harassment of ethnic minorities: They’ll provide another pretext for stop-and-search, often directed at ethnic minorities

* Have little impact on counter-terrorism: Sophisticated terror networks would soon be able to produce counterfeit cards or papers enabling people to get legitimate cards

* Have little effect on illegal working: Employers who are already willing to break the law won’t be put off by identity cards

* Lead to ‘function creep’: The functions of the card will grow over time as it stores more personal information. More people could demand to see it, effectively making it compulsory to carry one

* Lead to loss of privacy: There will be a massive database containing an unprecedented amount of personal information on people

* Be costly and impractical: There is scepticism about the cost and operability of the scheme, as well as the government’s ability to manage the technology

"

The only worry I have about the identity card scheme is what happens if I lose it? Apart from that, I'm all for it.

I don't really see how "have little impact" is a good argument against the scheme.

From what I heard on Radio 4 this morning this will be another Labour whitewash.

What is the point of having ID cards if it will not be compulsory

to have one

:loopy:

There is a government consultation document about identity cards.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs3/identitycardsconsult.pdf

Why not read the report and take an active part in the consultation process by submitting your opinion to government (and the forum ?) based on your understanding of the consultation document proposals rather than just on received opinion from the press, pressure groups etc.

You've got till 20th July.

I'd go for ID cards.

In fact I'm in favour of all citizens having DNA and fingerprints on a database. Detection and arrest would be speeded up in my opinion.

I can't see how any of these measures would infringe on my civil rights. Unless of course I suddenly had something to hide.

I can't see any negative side to this at all.

"No officer, I didn't see his face, but that is where he spat just before he made off with Cycleracer's bike."

"Ok, thanks. I'll just get a sample, run it through the database and then we'll go round and arrest the clown.":thumbsup:

Yes, I personallly am for IDentity cards, then you could incould your NI No., fingerprints, eye colour and pop your fingerprints.

No, doubt 6 months down the line, the frudsters will be able to copy it (them).

:thumbsup:

frudsters? are they rubbish fraudsters?

Why not - people can always get your information if that want it - you juts need to know how