If Michael Jackson had vitiligo

Didn't there used to be a black kid who sang with his brothers called Michael Jackson too?

Sadly, yes there used to be a quip going round, about MJ, a good 10/ 15 years or more ago which went:-

"America... Where a poor black lad can grow up to be a rich white woman!"

(back then, I also remember someone commenting "MJ:- is he trying to turn himself into Diana Ross, or something?" :o:o)

I just wondered how a black person would feel about a black person wanting to appear white, if this is what he did, I dont know if he did or not, and its not going to matter now anyway.

There are plenty of photos from back in the day that suggest he did have vitiligo, on his face, nack, arms, hands, and who knows where else. For a while it looks like he used heavy-duty make-up to cover it up, resulting in a darker-than-normal skintone. But it seems like he eventually opted for the permanent treatment that many with the severe forms of the condition undergo.

It's got little to do with a black man wanting to be white, IMHO, rather with a man, already riddled with other psychological problems, trying to deal with a difficult physical condition as best as he could......

Edited by purple_frog

What I find curious, is that his children appear to be white.

Even if he did have vitiligo, surely his genetic make-up would remain the same..?

Even if he did have vitiligo, surely his genetic make-up would remain the same..?

Don't blame it on vitiligo, don't blame it on the suntan, don't blame it on sunshine blame it on the boogie.

What is the difference between Sir Alex Ferguson and Michael Jackson?

Fergie will be playing Giggs this August.

He was a great entertainer, it was a pity he was immature in other areas of life.

how is it curious?

Their mother is a white woman, so the "african" genes are going to be diluted (And we don't know what white heritage is in MJ's family lineage from years ago) so it's perfectly feasible for them not to look entirely "black".

My aunt and her sister are half-Caribbean, and aren't really "dark" afro-looking, despite their father being really dark "plummy" black.

(to visualise them, they are a sort of Shirley Bassey, tan/ mixed race colouring and in looks, although my aunt's sister looks somewhat more "white" than my aunt)

If Michael Jackson had skin treatment to make him lighter, wouldn't black people feel insulted by the fact he wasnt happy being a black man. No one can take away the fact he was a very talented man, but reading the black community are mourning his death as are lots of people I wonder how they feel about the fact he may have wanted to be white

A lot of people 'hate' their white skin and use sunbeds and fake tan to darken it, any whities offended?

There was a Vitiligo sufferer on the radio just now saying a lot of Jackson's behaviour was very typical of sufferers, including the facial surgery (apparently African features look odd when the skin lightens). She also said the condition often manifests itself after stressful events so the fact other members of his family don't appear to have it doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Only approx 10% of suffers have relatives similarly afflicted - although a friend pointed out a photo of MJ's eldest son, apparently with some patching on his hand, so who knows whether or not he too has it. But yeah, the hats, masks, umbrellas, long clothes and sun glasses all help many vit sufferers live 'normal' lives without excessive sun exposure. The surgery thing hadn't occurred to me, but it makes sense!

A lot of people 'hate' their white skin and use sunbeds and fake tan to darken it, any whities offended?

Too true! :thumbsup:

My sister has had vitiligo since she was 4 years old, she is now 50. She has never heard of an "operation" to make skin tone more even, in fact she has never been offered any type of treatment at all. She has patches all over her body which move around and manifest themselves in different places all the time.

No one in the family before her has ever had it and no one since has had it.

It never ceases to amaze me how so people have happily suspend disbelief in the sad and sorry case of MJ.

All 3 of his children are white and that's because they're not biologically his. The mother of 2 of them, Debbie Rowe, is quoted as saying 'Michael knows the truth. He has to come clean'. He then bought her silence, but for how much longer?

As for the vitiligo, make your own minds up.