Is being gay a statement?

Looking at the Sheffield pride pics i notice a lot of gays have what can only be described as a dress code. You know the sort, women in butch clothes or men in clothes that wouldnt look out of place in a big top and i just got to wonder if being gay makes you want to dress like this or are you makiing some kind of protest or statememnt.

Please dont call me a troll. This is a genuine question and id appreciate serious replies only.

Simple answer = no, I personally dress how I feel, no need to make a statement from me, I lead a life like everyone else :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simple answer = no, I personally dress how I feel, no need to make a statement from me, I lead a life like everyone else :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes dear, but you're butch :D

As for it being a "statement". No, it's not.

I'm a straight woman (honest!).

Sheffield Pride is where LGTB can express who they are without fear of intimidation. Why do they still need to do this? Because there are still bigots around who think their behaviour is deviant and wrong. They also, because of these people, cannot always express their feelings in public, even so far as s to hold their partner's hand for example. And woe betide they give each other a kiss goodbye as we see thousands of hetrosexual couples do every day!

We can still, hundreds of years later, celebrate a terrorist who wished to pull down the Houses of Parliament, but we can't celebrate who we are?

We hetrosexuals get to celebrate our sexuality every day, in every situation. You'd be well to remember, not everyone has that same opportunity without being spat on, or called (yes, it does still happen as my very good friend was called out to only at the weekend) just for being who they are.

I'll tell you something else too. Some straight men would do well to have a tag along at one of these events. You might see how good you can look with a little moisturiser and a good shower and shave every now and then :hihi:

Possibly not...but some of their males do wear incredibly elaborate and expensive frocks.....bit like religious drag queens :hihi:

Catholics.....sexual deviencies....ask any choirboy :lol:

As a former choirboy I can assure that Anglicans are not short of sexual deviants either. :rolleyes::hihi:

Sheffield Pride is where LGTB can express who they are without fear of intimidation. Why do they still need to do this? Because there are still bigots around who think their behaviour is deviant and wrong. They also, because of these people, cannot always express their feelings in public, even so far as s to hold their partner's hand for example. And woe betide they give each other a kiss goodbye as we see thousands of hetrosexual couples do every day!

We can still, hundreds of years later, celebrate a terrorist who wished to pull down the Houses of Parliament, but we can't celebrate who we are?

We hetrosexuals get to celebrate our sexuality every day, in every situation. You'd be well to remember, not everyone has that same opportunity without being spat on, or called (yes, it does still happen as my very good friend was called out to only at the weekend) just for being who they are.

Hear, hear.

Some folk just don't get it though, do they?

And some folk just need to get on with their own lives instead of interfering in things that don't concern them.

I was able to hold my partner's hand that day in public for the very first time. We even continued doing so for a few minutes after we left the park, but then, as the number of apparently straight people increased, we decided it was probably a wise decision to walk seperately. KTHFB's friend isn't alone in experiencing homophobia first hand. Until this needless crap ends and people are integrated to the point where they can live comfortably side by side, then there's a need for Pride events.

Being gay isn't what people DO, it's what they ARE.

Being gay isn't what people DO, it's what they ARE.

:thumbsup:

I'll tell you something else too. Some straight men would do well to have a tag along at one of these events. You might see how good you can look with a little moisturiser and a good shower and shave every now and then :hihi:

My younger brother who is as gay as a jamboree comprising of clones of Kenny Everitt & Graham Norton, was walking home last year when 3 sniggering teens bellowed "FAGGOT!" as he walked past them. Now himself being him haughtily asked them "Do you know who I am?" to which a sneering oik replied "Yeah" >hur hur< "You're that bender".

"Yes I am dear" replied himself "And if you don't run home to your Mum I'm going to *#@% you up the &*£*". Cue 3 sheepish urchins fading away :D Not the norm of course but humourous nonetheless.

And I'll have you know I'm straight and I look ruddy gorgeous :love:

My younger brother who is as gay as a jamboree comprising of clones of Kenny Everitt & Graham Norton, was walking home last year when 3 sniggering teens bellowed "FAGGOT!" as he walked past them. Now himself being him haughtily asked them "Do you know who I am?" to which a sneering oik replied "Yeah" >hur hur< "You're that bender".

"Yes I am dear" replied himself "And if you don't run home to your Mum I'm going to *#@% you up the &*£*". Cue 3 sheepish urchins fading away :D Not the norm of course but humourous nonetheless.

Do you luv, Damn I think you have issues darling. Stop going on about it keep it in your trousers, its not Stone Wall now. Damn yad all be lost if no one payed you attension, thats all this about, LOOK AT ME I the only gay in the city, your not ,I don't care ,shutup. :rant:

Do you luv, Damn I think you have issues darling. Stop going on about it keep it in your trousers, its not Stone Wall now. Damn yad all be lost if no one payed you attension, thats all this about, LOOK AT ME I the only gay in the city, your not ,I don't care ,shutup. :rant:

Ooh, get you!

He was talking about his brother, dufus.

and why are you so interested in this thread anyway?..hmm?...a bit curious are we...it's very natural to want to try different things..go on...you might lick it...er...I mean like it ....:hihi:

I loved the retort! My friend gave them the finger as they were just driving by so he couldn't do much else. He would have had a better retort though had he been able to respond to them properly.

As for the gorgeous bit - you must be one of the few exceptions to the rule :hihi:

I just wear what i wear - i am a lesbian and i guess some people (including my mother) think i dress this way and cut my hair short for a point/statement.

The reason i wear what i wear is because i am lot more comfortable this way and hate hair in my face, i know plenty of lesbians who dress like straight people and i don't think a lot of straight people pick up on that only seeing the Butch Lesbians/ Flamboyant Gays.

I personally don't enjoy Gay Pride and don't attend but I know plenty of LGBT people who do and also a large number of straight people who do to.

And in regards to the people who say that heterosexual people DON'T flaunt their sexuality - go to many a club on a friday evening and the evidence there will prove you wrong :P

I loved the retort! My friend gave them the finger as they were just driving by so he couldn't do much else. He would have had a better retort though had he been able to respond to them properly.

When they "Lesbo!" me, i usually "Hetero!" them - most looked shocked and walk off while one or two have said "are you saying i'm gay?!" :hihi:

When they "Lesbo!" me, i usually "Hetero!" them - most looked shocked and walk off while one or two have said "are you saying i'm gay?!" :hihi:

They can't even be intelligent bigots then? :hihi: