Is being gay a statement?

I thought being gay was a sexual preference, not a statement. Why they need public parades I will never understand, as once they start parading around then the insults and ridicule starts. Why not just behave, be quiet and GET ON WITH IT without all the fuss. I couldn't care less what gays do in private. Do they have a problem? Can they not be discreet?:loopy:

I thought being gay was a sexual preference, not a statement. Why they need public parades I will never understand, as once they start parading around then the insults and ridicule starts. Why not just behave, be quiet and GET ON WITH IT without all the fuss. I couldn't care less what gays do in private. Do they have a problem? Can they not be discreet?:loopy:

The problem is that many still believe that their is still no acceptance or tolerance. i dont know why, it is put down to be celebrating freedom. i do not understand the need for a public show or a parade, nor do i see the need to fit into a stereotype, or role. there are those that clearly still see this as a way of being free to practice their sexuality and beliefs, personnaly i dont belief that there is a need because we really are one of the most accepting and politically correct countries in the world.

You have to remember: Gay Pride was once a political statement, a march across London (and other cities) to show the world gay people existed and that they weren't going to take being ignored. Those few hundred fought for gay rights back in the 80s...

But that was years ago and tolerances have changed since then. Most gays nowadays have no idea what Stonewall is and a vast majority don't care about how those people back in the day risked their lives and the threat of imprisonment to fight for future gay rights.

So, no, it's not a statement, but Gay Pride is a tradition, admittedly, one like Christmas, where the meaning has been lost on all but a select few.

The question is: why would any one think being gay was a statement?

..."We're straight! We're straight! Has tha' got that? Reight!". ...

Oh noes True brit!

A proper gay :oQuick retreat before he puts his deviant gayray to work upon you!

:D

:hihi:

I'm so glad you're posting on the forum again :thumbsup: .

...The question is: why would any one think being gay was a statement?

They don't. Like 'I think we should take a shotgun to all cats', 'Muslims: aren't they all terrorists?' and 'All fat people smell', it's a zombie forummer topic du jour. Great for stirring up a bit of controversy.

Makes me wonder if tolerating the obvious reanimated forummers is now the way of the forum, or whether JoeP took the duplicate account filter with him when he stood down.

Agreed. Actually, I think this is just another trolling post...

If you spend TWO seconds thinking about it, pretty much everyone has a dress code, from Japanese girls to skinheads to the Mods and Rockers of the 60s...

Looking at the Sheffield pride pics i notice a lot of gays have what can only be described as a dress code. You know the sort, women in butch clothes or men in clothes that wouldnt look out of place in a big top and i just got to wonder if being gay makes you want to dress like this or are you makiing some kind of protest or statememnt.

Please dont call me a troll. This is a genuine question and id appreciate serious replies only.

You don't get out much, do you? :D

You don't get out much, do you? :D

No, not much:lol:

Im glad to see my question is still been taken relativly seriously though.

:)

You lumped us all together - ergo you included me.

I don't lump all heterosexuals together in order to make sweeping statements - maybe you should extend us the same courtesy...

He's only going on how he feels - then assumes that all homosexuals feel the same... Sad sad sad little person :cry:

Do the Catholics parade in the cities and towns to make people aware of their sexual deviencies.....:huh:

Possibly not...but some of their males do wear incredibly elaborate and expensive frocks.....bit like religious drag queens :hihi:

Catholics.....sexual deviencies....ask any choirboy :lol:

Edited by julado

Possibly not...but some of their males do wear incredibly elaborate and expensive frocks.....bit like religious drag queens :hihi:

That's Anglo Catholic - the original post re catholic services were talking about Roman Catholic...

That's Anglo Catholic - the original post re catholic services were talking about Roman Catholic...

So the Roman Catholics don't wear pretty frocks then.....not even the Pope???