Ripoff Shops

We alway's shop around for whatever we want to buy, food, footwear, clothing, household good's, holiday's etc. By doing so we see good's that are priced way out of our budget, sometimes the same articles exactly, are a lot dearer than the prices we pay, even garden centre's charge sky high prices and yet they alway's seem to have plenty of customer's!

My point is, don't people notice the price before they buy or don't they care? or is it because they have so much money they can afford to pay the first price they see.?Surely, they cannot want to pay high prices, shop's take advantage of this attitude and stick the price up accordingly.

Same with sales, we see this that and the other with a price tag of £££s off the original price, off what price? It never states it, the price they are charging is high above the price we pay. I think we are being conned all the time. dont get me wrong, I don't mind paying, or anyone making a fair profit but I will not be ripped off!!! Hal. Evans. :evil::evil::evil:

Convenience comes into this too. If I can go down the street to get what I am looking for then I will - but I don;t drive so miss out on a lot of cheaper prices by not being able to travel.

The other problem is time - I don't look forward to going bargin shopping with pushchair and three kids in tow - during the week I don't get time as I have to pick the wee one up from nursery.

As for the sales tickets - most of the labels state the previous price aswell as the new one - can get quite confusing if you find an item that has been reduced four times.

I try as much as possible for high priced items to shop around and I also have to take my human calculator with me when food shopping - the huuby loves to figure out just which item is the best value for money.

Anyone heard the tricks for the bogoffers?? Ya know buy one get one free - but all the items people regularly buy are increased in price by a few pence to compensate???

Moon Maiden

What supermarkets do is very clever, everyone knows the price of bread, milk, cornflakes, baked beans, etc.. but when the public dont know how much an itme should cost thats when its expensive. Take herbs and spices for example. I buy mixed herbs for 20p from New Roots on Glossop Road, I get about the same as a little Shwartz jar, except it comes in a plastic bag. I dont know what Shwartz charge, but I bet its over £1.

Tortilla's £1.50 for 8 at Safeway, and they're basically just flour and water!! £1.50 for 100 more like!

You are right Richard, that is what I do people need to shop around, we shop at Morrison's at halfway and there are a lot of buy one get one free good's.

However everything is not cheap, some good's are priced way above other shop's and we find that some thing's are unobtainable there so we visit other supermarket's as well.

One need's to go to different places to get the maximum benefit, I am becoming quite an expert on prices since I met my ladyfriend as she is very keen. Hal. Evan's. :D:D:D

Speaking personally though, I really hate shopping. Generally if I see the item I want I just buy it and get it over with, rather than going to 10 different shops to find out which is the cheapest.

Halevan, it's none of my business but don't you travel a long way to do your grocery shopping from Totley to Halfway? I agree about Morrisons they have some really good deals I shop there.

Mo

NE Derbyshire

The reason we go shopping to halfway morrison's, is because we used to live near there and it was our local supermarket. So when we moved to totley, we still shopped there as we have a car, we are retired, so plenty of time.

But this is only half the story, as we are bargain hunter's anyhow and we enjoy the challenge. We do not believe in paying through the nose for anything we can get at a lower price. How about you??? :D:o:lol:

Guest Guest

Yes Halevan I love to think that I've got a bargain. I find that Primark in Sheff is brill for kids clothes at a good price. I know a lot of people who wouldn't be seen dead in Primark but thats fine by me cos if more people shopped there the prices would probably go up :lol:

The only prob with shopping in sheff is the ridiculous parking charges. Yes I'd love to go by public transport but it is so poor and unreliable.

Mo

Guest poppins

Did you know that something being advertized as a Special is different from being in the sale, a "SPECIAL" item is not on sale, it's brought in just for the shop sale, usualy cheap stuff as a come on, but not aloud to be advertized as sale items.

It's weird to find that the shopping experience, if you have the big bucks, is a significant part of what to buy. Here in San Francisco, you can go in SAKS FIFTH AVENUE and buy something for three X more than a very similar item at a cut price store. I know that it's all about selling you summat, but just being in SAKS as opposed to Dollarshop, makes you feel better. Some places make you feel like s*** (Job Lot, Dollarstore, US Dollar). Rip off, well, I think that's really the domain of car dealers who invented the word because they really are the biggest shysters in the world. CALLASSA

Just a word of caution for when you see something marked as half price or 'an incredible 50% off our kitchens. MFI do it a lot as do Currys and other electrical retailers.

It is 50% of the price as marked up but what you don't realise is that they had recently increased the price.

For example you see a kitchen at 50% marked price. The marked price is £5000. The price of the kitchen before was actually nearer £3500 but they increase the price up to £5000 (it has to be for a minimum of 28 days if i'm not mistaken) then market it as 50% off.

I experienced this with a CD player which I actually bought for £99.

I went back 2 months later and noticed it had 50% off..bugger I thought. But on closer inspection the previous marked up price that they were claiming you only pay half off was actually £125.

Still a discount I know but very sly marketing.