What's in your cellar?!...

I have just bought a house in Sheffield and it has a cellar. I know a lot of houses here have them, but we just dont have them down south! So I have no idea what to use it for!

I know its normally a bit damp so can I store luggage and things down there or will it get mouldy? Would I be ok storing photo albums and stuff if they were in a plastic box with a lid?

Confused! :confused::hihi:

we have a cinema

We have a freezer down ours. We also store tools and gardening stuff down there and the kids outdoor toys (bikes etc). I wouldn't advise storing photo's or stuff like that because they do get damp esp in winter. Your luggage will also probly go mouldy and smelly.

It could be risky with anything of value. Is it an earth or solid floor? Does it smell/feel damp? Are there any air grates? Try experimenting with newspapaper and cardboard boxes stored just above floor level and see what happens. Best to have shelves and store vulnerable items up near joist level. The driest place is usually the loft (bar roof leaks!)

about a foot of water and a funny smell

Edited by bladesman123

G G G G Ghosties!!

A washing machine, fridge/freezer, hot water tank, couple of hundredweight of timber, surplus crockery, drums of cable, 'leccy tools.

That's at the back of the house. At the front I've got a basement with 30foot of shelving with loads 'n' loads of books and magazines, and a nice long workbench with my computer stuff on. It looked like this before tidying it up.

I keep all of my victims in mine:D....erm I mean garden furniture, lawn mower, daughters bike etc

If you have them damp proofed their just an extra room;)