Best form of travel from Sheffield to Alton Towers

Train to Uttoxeter Rail Station which i think is about 9 quid return for adults

Then bus from there to alton towers (i've been told you can use the train ticket on the bus because it's part of a derbyshire day saver type thing, no idea if it's true or not but it's worth asking about.)

the shuttle bus to/from the resort sounds useful if you plan to get your tickets on the day according to the website you could get it free so instead of having to find the bus stop and work out where to get off you can get their shuttle bus that goes straight from Uttordex into the resort with no waiting in the queue outside

Uttoxeter is a branch line station which has connecting trains to Derby and Crewe. The Alton Towers Transport team run a number of bus services designed to connect with incoming train services from popular destinations, and if you buy your Theme Park ticket on board the bus (on-the-day prices apply), not only will it save you having to wait at the entrance when you arrive, but you’ll also get your bus trip free!

taken from the alton towers website

Don't know how up to date this website is, but might be worth a try.

I think there is a special train ticket at a reduced rate you can get that covers the coach distance for part of it too. Station information desk should know.

I just remember going by train and then finding out there was a cheaper ticket we could have got.

We didn't really fancy driving in UK. We're not used to the roads. The train seems ok but do you know if you can still use the shuttle bus if you have entrance tickets aready?

And if someone tell that there's any special student concession to go Alton towers? then it will be very useful for me as well........thanks

The train companies no longer do package ticket deals as Alton Towers withdrew the 'tour operator discount'. Buses to Alton Towers aren't included in the Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket as its in Staffordshire.

However Alton Towers do run bus services from Derby railway station and Uttoxeter railway station.

The bus from Derby station departs at 09:40, arriving Alton Towers 10:35. The 08:54 CrossCountry train from Sheffield connects nicely into this bus.

The bus returns from Alton Towers at 17:30 and drops you at Derby station 18:25, and you should be back in Sheffield for 19:20.

A day return ticket to Derby is £17.10 on weekdays, £8.20 on Saturdays.

More information on the buses and admission is on the Alton Towers website.