Defragging in vista

Have been defragging now for 5 hrs and i'm beginning to wonder if it' stuck!! With XP there was a progress bar so that you could see how much further to go but I can't find one in vista.

Is it hidden and if so how do I find it? and

How much longer do you think that I should give it?

Mine takes forever and a day to defrag, and I do it pretty regularly and have loads of empty space on my hard drive too.

I'm not sure that the defrag in Vista is much cop though- I'm thinking of getting an external program to see if it does the job any better.

tbh there's no point defragging, the benefits are little to none compared to the disadvantages.

the benefit is you might gain slight performance increse (nothign you would notice though) vs wear and tear on your hardware because you'r asking it to spend hours doing work, (the heads are shooting back and forwards for a number of hours while you defrag, vs only a couple of seconds every now and then when you'r not), and you'r incresing the heat levels also.

tbh there's no point defragging, the benefits are little to none compared to the disadvantages.

the benefit is you might gain slight performance increse (nothign you would notice though) vs wear and tear on your hardware because you'r asking it to spend hours doing work, (the heads are shooting back and forwards for a number of hours while you defrag, vs only a couple of seconds every now and then when you'r not), and you'r incresing the heat levels also.

i agree, defragging is useless theese days, does more harm than good, i dont know why people still bother.

I don`t know why but I always thought Vista defraged itself as it went along.

Have been defragging now for 5 hrs and i'm beginning to wonder if it' stuck!! With XP there was a progress bar so that you could see how much further to go but I can't find one in vista.

Is it hidden and if so how do I find it? and

How much longer do you think that I should give it?

Unfortunately you cant get a visual display in Vista as in XP. How long it will take depends on how fragmented it is and how much free space you got. Also with Vista one can never tell since it grinds away in the background slowly.

I have switched to Diskeeper and suggest you check out the trial version. For Vista, it has the VSS option which prevents unnecessary shadow copy activity. Just set it on automatic and it'll defrag neatly and very fast.

tbh there's no point defragging
Defragging helps your disk my friend,especially after deleting 100s of megs of files!! (It moves all of it to the last sector on the drive (So its like nothing was ever deleted))

One day, MS might write a decent file system

I don`t know why but I always thought Vista defraged itself as it went along.

You might be thinking about the majority of linux journalling file systems which will automatically do it every once in a while.

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system

Defragging helps your disk my friend,especially after deleting 100s of megs of files!! (It moves all of it to the last sector on the drive (So its like nothing was ever deleted))

It did, when PC's were slower, but now disk access and cpu speed are much quicker there's a 0.01% speed increse on average due to defragging, this (in the real world) is not a noticable difference and the additional wear and tear defragging causes to your disk vs performance increse, it just isn't worth it any more.

my vista is stupid in the 2 years ive had it now it always say i dnt need to defragg everytime i try.