Darnall Libs Club closed

I have just learned the Darnall Lib's Club closed last week (13-6-09).

I am surprised no one has posted news of this, or is this a sign of the times where this is no longer 'news' of yet another cloure of what was once a major focal point of the Darnall area.

I started frequenting this club in the 70's. Some of the 'top local turns' would appear on stage in the 'old concert' room- John O'hara & the Playboys, Bitter Suite, CFS. Then the new concert room was built in 1981 & attracted acts such as Bernard Manning, Jimmy Nail & Tony Capstick!

Louis Thorpe was the steward since year dot.

As Jimmy Carrol would say, it was a 'proper' club. You could buy anything in there, & I mean 'anything'.

Every trade was represented - if you needed a job doing - there was someone in that trade who could do it for you.

Dot (Dorothy) was behind the bar for what seemed like a hundred years. If she liked you, you would get served straight away, if she didn't, you would be served last in the queue.

Some top local snooker players were represented in the Sheffield Leagues - Ronnie Grayson, Dave & Phil Osborne, big Eric Peacock, Kieth (Mester) Malinder.

It is a sad day for Sheffield when a club of this stature closes & confirms the demise of clubland in our area.

Anyone any memories?

i didnt know i went in there many times as a regular with the family an know lou an his wife very well it is such a shame but it dosnt surprise me as it went down hill over the years

yes it is a sign of the times, what a pity i have been going in the libs for 35 years and seen all the turns you mention and many more had some great times in the club was in the night the cameras came in to film ernest p about life as a steel worker and pigeon flyer,great days gone but not forgotten.

It's taken people a week to realise this club has closed,I live nearby and only realised when the front windows was smashed by the local scum.There is a good opportunity for someone here to buy the building and make it usable,but I do not think it will be for what it has been.I think Darnall has just got another mosque.

It is a shame that Darnall is fast becoming a place for the average man to have nowhere to go for a pint.The area only has one pub that you would not to stay for more than one drink. A good steward with vision could make a fortune in the desert that is Darnall pubs.

It's taken people a week to realise this club has closed,I live nearby and only realised when the front windows was smashed by the local scum.There is a good opportunity for someone here to buy the building and make it usable,but I do not think it will be for what it has been.I think Darnall has just got another mosque.

It is a shame that Darnall is fast becoming a place for the average man to have nowhere to go for a pint.The area only has one pub that you would not to stay for more than one drink. A good steward with vision could make a fortune in the desert that is Darnall pubs.

the steward whom i know very very well indeed has tried everything , its the area ..... darnall has a high percentage of asians & other ethnic communities who would not use the venue for the purpose of alcoholic refreshment if it was free!!

indeed it is nothing to do with lack of turnover , even in these current times which has caused its demise ...... believe me i know ;)

its sad , i have been a patron of the place for 25 yrs at least & was in there the night before it closed .... seen many a top turn there both as a child & adult....i will miss a lotta the folks (some real characters) that went in there

RIP Darnall Libs

ps .. i wonder if any of barbaras family have seen this thread

It's been known for a couple of years that its due to be demolished and the site redeveloped, we found out that when we put the beer festival on there.

can they demolish it tho ?...... part of it is a listed building .... grade 2 i think , but not exactly certain

used to go in there all the time with my dad brian launders....