Scooterists and motorcyclists beware - Speed camera on Snake Pass

All well and good , but hidden speed cameras aren't going to stop people speeding . As illegal as they are . This is just a money making exercise . If the cameras were visible , they would slow people down . After all they are supposed to be called "safety cameras" . I'm all for cameras in the right places , but hidden on the Snake , come on there really is no need.

Course not. :rolleyes:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=338163

http://www.glossop.com/snake.htm

The road has a poor accident record. In winter, the road is often the first route between Sheffield and Manchester to be closed by bad weather. There are areas where the road surface has very poor skid resistance and a number of bends have adverse camber.

That was a two minute search. There is a hell of a lot more to go at so maybe there is a need to nick idiots that know better than the speed limit.

Not to mention that recent thread where the young guy on here had that really nasty crash:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=467674

It's a shame they put the 50 mph limit on the road. It was perfectly safe to do 60mph on certain stretches and then slow down at the bends. Sadly some people see the national speed limit sign and thing that they can do that speed all the way across.

I sold my R6 a month or so back and I won't be getting another. My last ride I went up the snake and found the third best road in Britian neutered to a 50 limit. There was a helicopter hovering overhead (couldn't tell if it was police tbh) and I realised I wasn't enjoying what I was doing at all. I came home, sat down and thought "they've won". They have made the world a safer, but more joyless place. People have been ridng that road for fun for the last hundred years, ffs

Speeding is dangerous driving...
It isn't. Inconsiderate and inappropriate driving speeds and style are dangerous, that includes speeding but does not exclude other factors.
Why cant drivers just be patient for gods sake.
Because we don't have all day to get to where we're going. I am not condoning inappropriate driving but driving at forty everywhere, sticking to the middle lane on the motorway, drive in the right lane with the left lane empty, not drive in bus lane off peak, not use filter lanes to free main carriageway are more dangerous than outright speeding.
My dad will overtake someone going forty miles per hour on a stretch of road with National speed limit but he'll only do it rarely and if the road permits...
Good for him.
i think he'd rather stay alive than cause a crash. I also know that people driving dangerously slow get caught by these cameras and also get fined.

Answers simple, stick to the speed limits!

Or reassess speed limits.

Not to mention that recent thread where the young guy on here had that really nasty crash:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=467674

It's a shame they put the 50 mph limit on the road. It was perfectly safe to do 60mph on certain stretches and then slow down at the bends. Sadly some people see the national speed limit sign and thing that they can do that speed all the way across.

Nice link. Good to hear from the lad's sister that he was OK.:)

On the subject of scameras, are the Police legally entitled to covertly catch speeding drivers,if the cameras are covertly hidden.

Before anyone has a go at me... i just want to know if the info they gain from these cameras is legally usable in a court of law.

Are the Police breaking the law too by filming covertly with the intention to prosecute those speeding.

I don't agree with speeding!!!

Could the Police be in court for breaking the law too?

It would be an interesting case, if someone were to challenge their illegal activity - if it is illegal at all.

Edited by Joe9T

Where would the sense be in having it visible? There are already visible road signs, so anyone who cares about not breaking the law will already know how fast they should be going.

Anyone who doesn't so care, should be caught and fined.

It's supposedly a safety measure, how does it make anyone safer if 2 weeks after speeding you get a letter through the post?

Or for that matter, how does it make anyone safer to measure speed on the long straight sections which have never seen an accident instead of the corners where accidents have happened (at far below the speed limit).

I can answer for you, it doesn't, it's not about road safety, the 50 mph limit is inappropriate and now the government are making some money out of it.

Visibility of Police Officers Who Are Performing Speed Checks

ACPO Traffic Enforcement Guidelines are also not mentioned in the law, but they unambiguously state that traffic officers performing speed checks should do so from a position that's clearly visible to the public - take a look.

"31.2 The operator must be clearly visible to the public and the target vehicle throughout the check."

So, if you see a Traffic Officer hiding behind a bush or working from inside an unmarked transit van, why not stop and ask them if they realise that their conduct is breaching the ACPO guidelines - please don't forget to ask them for their name, number and the contact details of their Chief Constable so that you can write a letter of complaint about

http://www.pepipoo.com/Hidden_speed_traps.htm

Joe9t there is no legal requirement for speed cameras to be visible. It is reccomended and advised in the guidelines but not a legal requirement hence cameras such as these are quite able to enforce fines.

What gets me about this is that the visible van is more of a deterent to those who are speeding than a horsebox. They might get a gine in 2 weeks but if you want them to slow down at the time then the clearly marked van will be much more effective.

To all the cries regarding "its the law, they have to be visible"

I believe the law was changed sometime in the last 18 months or so. The power was devolved to local authorities and road safety partnerships more felxability to decide if they want their cameras to be visible - yellow boxes

or

covert such as green/gray boxes or vans.

I think NE Derbyshire opted for the latter whilst Sheffield has remained visible

Course not. :rolleyes:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=338163

http://www.glossop.com/snake.htm

That was a two minute search. There is a hell of a lot more to go at so maybe there is a need to nick idiots that know better than the speed limit.

Due to weather , doesn't say anything what so ever about speeding motorists. Read further down , one of the best driving roads voted for by Caterham sports car drivers . I'm certain they potter up and down it at 45

Can you also tell me what speed the bike was travelling at when it hit the idiot doing a u-turn .