Why can't men do the Race For Life for cancer!?

Originally posted by BoppinBruce

Amy was 5 when she died, she didn't have breasts, but she suffered 3 of her 5 years with cancer. Anyone want to stop all this bickering and run to raise money for others in her parents position.

If so pm me

As I said in my earlier post, I'm doing the Playtex Moonwalk later this month in aid of breast cancer, and also the Great Scots Half Marathon later this year. 'Fraid that's all I can afford to do this year because of the entrance fees and taking time off work.

But I agree with you... Cancer is cancer, anyone can get it and everyone can do their bit to raise money to help stop it.

A great charity that organise sponsored powerwalks like the Moonwalk are at http://www.walkthewalk.org so why not check that out as a starting point everyone?

I'm afraid that one's mostly aimed at women, but if you google cancer charities and contant one of the main ones I'm sure they'll point you in the direction of events for blokes and uni-sex stuff. Or organise your own fundraiser!

I can understand the points raised here. As a runner myself, I would naturally applaud anyone taking part in any run of any distance and for any worthwhile cause.

I hope I'm not making too sweeping a statement when I say that there are a lot of women who are put off taking part in some sports (whether deemed competitive or not) because they feel 'a bit daft'. By that I mean they would probably spend a lot of their time worrying about what other people think of them. 'I'm too slow to run, too heavy to run. Look at the shape of me. I can't run with these bouncing around', and they feel the presence of men only makes it worse! Hence, Women Only sessions in gyms. (The big knockers bit is actually something my wife has regularly cited. Lucky me eh?)

There's no problem with this. Many men and almost everyone new to a sport, be it running, cycling or simply visiting the gym, feels this way. That's the nature of sport. The good thing with running a marathon, a 10k or even a 3k is that whilst it IS competitive, the only person you're really up against is yourself. You do one race in a certain time; you do another and want to beat your previous time. And you raise money in the process!!

So, whilst I'd love to partake in a Race For Life run, it's true there are many, many other races I can choose to run in that allow both sexes instead. I can always sponsor myself for similar charities to Cancer Research.

The last thing we want is for men to be allowed into the Race For Life at the expense of the many thousands of female competitors who take part because they feel happy to do so. I don't think we need term the entry rules as sexist. It's live and let live, which is the whole point in raising money to keep our loved ones, of either sex, or ourselves here on earth, free of cancer, for a little bit longer. My father died of cancer but it's nice to know there are thousands of people out there prepared to do their bit in the name of cancer research.

I hope I didn't come across as patronising in this post.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

I hope I'm not making too sweeping a statement when I say that there are a lot of women who are put off taking part in some sports (whether deemed competitive or not) because they feel 'a bit daft'. By that I mean they would probably spend a lot of their time worrying about what other people think of them. 'I'm too slow to run, too heavy to run. Look at the shape of me. I can't run with these bouncing around', and they feel the presence of men only makes it worse!

Yay, Ousetunes! That's exactly it for me. I think it might be hard for some men to imagine how difficult it is to feel that you're being stared at and commented on - and it happens all the time. I'm a regular runner, just on the streets where I live, and every single time I go out, I get heckled/wolf whistled/commented on, by someone. Every single time.

Recently I was in Millhouses Park, and running directly behind a male runner. He ran by these two blokes - not a flicker. I ran by - comments and heckles aplenty. Why? Why can't they just respect me as a runner and let me go by, unhassled?

It really hurts, and it makes me so angry. Some people say - why not feel flattered? Well, because it's not about them being nice. Let's not fool ourselves that they're saying these things to be flattering and complimentary to me. It's an act of aggression, and the evidence of this is in what happens if you answer back, as I have a couple of times - things immediately turn hostile and ugly.

What was amazing at Race for Life was running a whole race without one single heckle. It was bliss. I felt safe - I felt respected.

That's one of the reasons why it's a women-only event - because of the **** that we still have to put up with daily, when all we're doing is going out to get some exercise.

JfG x

Originally posted by JoyfulGrrl

Yay, Ousetunes! That's exactly it for me. I think it might be hard for some men to imagine how difficult it is to feel that you're being stared at and commented on - and it happens all the time. I'm a regular runner, just on the streets where I live, and every single time I go out, I get heckled/wolf whistled/commented on, by someone. Every single time.

Recently I was in Millhouses Park, and running directly behind a male runner. He ran by these two blokes - not a flicker. I ran by - comments and heckles aplenty. Why? Why can't they just respect me as a runner and let me go by, unhassled?

It really hurts, and it makes me so angry. Some people say - why not feel flattered? Well, because it's not about them being nice. Let's not fool ourselves that they're saying these things to be flattering and complimentary to me. It's an act of aggression, and the evidence of this is in what happens if you answer back, as I have a couple of times - things immediately turn hostile and ugly.

What was amazing at Race for Life was running a whole race without one single heckle. It was bliss. I felt safe - I felt respected.

That's one of the reasons why it's a women-only event - because of the **** that we still have to put up with daily, when all we're doing is going out to get some exercise.

JfG x

Well excuse me. I hope you are not putting all men into a category just because of a couple of stupid men giving you a bit of grief. Its ridiculous. So, if men ran The Race For Life, you would be wolf wistled. Don't get rapped up in it because one day when you think some male runners are talking about you or heckling you, and you have a go at them, you are going to look a right prat. Or to be honest, maybe you are going a bit :loopy: and think that all men do this to you all the time.

I think we should protest... :suspect:

//www.change.org/petitions/let-men-join-the-race-for-life

spread the word!

wasn't this for breast cancer? which obvoiusly affects mainly women, i guess if they did one for testicular cancer then it would be men only.

either way - as long as it raised a shed load of money i don't see the problem!!!

W:loopy:ell if men were involved you would have two sheds.

Went down to the race for life today to give the OH and daughter some support and there were 2 blokes walking a staffy through the finish line.

The staffy must have been a girl, she had pink fairy wings on. As soon as i saw them i thought it must be some sort subdued protest about men not being able to do it.

From the race for life website:

(emphasis mine)

http://www.raceforlife.org/allaboutus/yourquestionsanswered/details.asp?catid=4&nsecid=5#24

It appears it is women only because the participants wanted it to be. No good reason at all. The phrase 'unique opportunity for women ... non-competitive and celebratory' is weird. What is so unique about it?

Let's hold a 'men only' charity event and see how fast the feminists swoop :twisted: (only kidding, before anyone starts...)

edits because I clicked submit instead of preview. D'oh!

Its not that the participants want it to be female only but because the organisers want it that way. Do the organisers consult every woman who turns up and ask their opinion?

Whatever way you look at it it is sexist and needs to change.

wasn't this for breast cancer? which obvoiusly affects mainly women, i guess if they did one for testicular cancer then it would be men only.

either way - as long as it raised a shed load of money i don't see the problem!!!

Mainly but not only.

My husband ran in the MEN-only 5k in Hull a few years ago, organised by the Bobby Moore Fund for bowel cancer. The next year, it was cancelled due to lack of interest!