Why can't men do the Race For Life for cancer!?

Originally posted by Charlie01

It was Race for Life - Breast Cancer, a branch of Cancer Research, thus meaning that women are the only ones who are supposed to have breasts- see quote below

jgharston-

"About 15% of breast cancer cases are in men." !!!

and about it being non-competitive - well with men involved they always want to race and see who can do it fastest, well its not about that its about celebrating recovery and in memory of those we have lost from breast cancer...

hope i didnt come across mardy but just couldnt understand why you couldnt grasp it was a women only event!

Another comment - I find your post very bizzarre Charlie01. You sound like you've got a right chip on your shoulder.

If you've got breasts then breast cancer affects you, but if you like breasts (or the women attatched to them!) then it also affects you.

I very much doubt that all the husbands, fathers or sons of women with breast cancer would take part in the Race for Life just to see if they could to if faster than everybody else.

And it's very true that 15 per cent of breast cancer cases are in men. In fact, hereditory breast cancer is actually more likely to be passed from mother to son than mother to daughter.

Finally, I actually feel a bit sorry for men where cancer's concerned. It the nature of women to band together and so we champion the cause of breast cancer (and rightly so), but testicular cancer still has a certain stigma attatched. That's very sad.

Amy was 5 when she died, she didn't have breasts, but she suffered 3 of her 5 years with cancer. Anyone want to stop all this bickering and run to raise money for others in her parents position.

If so pm me

i dont have a chip on my shoulder jbee, all i was saying was that i couldnt understand why these men were wondering why they couldnt particpate, its a women only fundraising event and thats the end of it.

i didnt set the rules.

so all you men out there feel free to set up a man only fundraising event and dont worry us women wont feel rejected by it!

boppin bruce- i agree lets stop the bickering, and help others in the same situation..

Well my boyfriend's dad and his two friends ran it. They applied as women and dressed up as women on the day...all involved took it very lightheartedly and let them run :)

The Race for Life is fully subscribed every year, so it doesn't really matter whether the runners are men or women, the benefit to charity is the same, innit. There are hundreds of similar races you could join in if you wanted to.

That's quite sexist isn't it!

I think there is a mens only event organised by cancer research uk, i think its a bike ride.

We've had this conversation already, before Sheffield's own Race for Life - go here

Scoop is right, there is a men-only event in aid of testicular cancer - it's a series of bike rides; see here

One of the most touching things for me, racing on the day, was seeing all the women racing and the (mainly) men supporting and cheering us on. It was amazing. Thank you so much anyone who was there to support us, it made so much difference.

So often it's the other way around; women supporting men; women in passive role, men in active role. I can't express how deeply touching it was to experience the reverse of this; men getting behind a women's cause for a change. You CAN support Race for Life if you're male - you just can't run in it.

JfG xx

You don't need permission to do stuff, folks.

Just remember JEDI - Just 'effing Do It.

Give a charity the money, arrange your own events, whatever.

Joe

Chortle - like the JEDI acronym, Joe! Sounds like a good motto for life . . . if I could add a bit though -

JEDI AHANSDA

Ahem! Introducing"Just 'Effing Do It . . . And Have A Nice Sit Down Afterwards"

;)

My son who was 11 at the time ran in the race with me, along with his male friend - both had lost grandparents to cancer. No one stopped him, we even got permission albeit it was on the day.

Originally posted by jgharston

About 15% of breast cancer cases are in men. It can affect anybody with breast tissue.

Woah! Holy missing decimal point, Batman!

That sould say: 1.5%.

There were about 400 cases of male breast cancer diagnoded in the UK in 2002, and about 38,000 female cases.

--

JGH