Big bore exhausts- are they legal?

Having been subject to the thunderous noise from one of the afore mentioned exhaust pipes for the last couple of evenings i was wondering are they legal?if so are they subject to some sort of decibell regulation.i don't understand why anyone would want to drive around accompanied by that sort of racket,i prefer a quiet drive myself,.:loopy:

Unfortunately they aren't particularly illegal on cars from what I know. I know with motorbikes they do have a decibel (sp?) limit. It's more to do with emissions with cars, particularly the catalytic converter; many choose to remove the cat and pop it back on for the MOT.

I am a big fan a noisy cars that sound good e.g. big V8 engines etc but when it's a poxy 4 cylinder (usually a Punto or Corsa) it winds me up.

as far as i know there is a limit for cars but it is something ridiculous!!!

I cant stand these 1 litres flying about with the beans cans on the back, what is the point!!!!

Cant get enough of the rs4' m3's subaru's evo's etc tho, sound gorgeous......

u know it turbo charged, what do they get out of these 1 litre corsas with these nasty exhausts on it, dont mind a nice sounding one like a scorpion on a beemer or something but a big bore on a corsa/saxo!!! NASTINESS

Edited by shabba

They're like those ultra bright headlights or tacky customised number plates - you can buy them but for "offroad show purposes".

It still doesn't stop people buying and using them on the street until they remove them for the MOT or get caught by the police.

It depends on the car it's attached to for noise as well as how it's been designed. Some exhausts are made to make lots of noise. My exhaust is 3" bore from the downpipe back, the tailpipe/muffler is 4", all perfectly legal and not noisy.

Small car + big exhaust = little dick. The law of conservation of idiocy.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Isn’t the expression “big car little man”, there seems to be a lot of snobbery going on, if you don’t like the noise fair enough, if you do like the noise what difference does it make what car is making it. :huh:

For me the difference is that if it's been altered to be so loud that it wakes me up/sets the car alarm off on the neighbour's yellow Megane at least once every 24 hours, it's too loud. Some of them are just silly and antisocial.

pure class :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't understand why people have such a problem with young lads and their cars.

It's a hobby which keeps them out of mischief, gives them focus and pride in something and supports largely british engineering firms. What's wrong with that? :huh: