Petition to stop officials removing items from graves- please sign

On 22nd June 2009 officials from East Herringthorpe Crematorium, Rotherham will be removing items placed on the graves of infants, as they feel they are "untidy", families have been given 1 weeks notice to remove any items on their graves and have been informed that any items remaining after this date will be removed by crematorium officials.

My younger sister has started a petition as she has a baby girl, Violet, buried at the crematorium and is understandably very upset that they are planning to do this. If you can help by signing the petition on the link below it would be very much appreciated. Also if you can you can show your support by being at the crematorium at 4pm today when reporters form the local paper will be there to cover the story. :help:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/leaveourbabiesgravesalone/

i am sorry to hear this my x is burried therewot will they want next i hope you win---good luck

me to ghostrider

I'm on the fence on this one. By all means, small posies, perhaps a small teddy - sure.

But this WILL mean someone has to spoil it by lighting up their loved one's grave like a blummin' Xmas tree with candles/tinsel/who knows what and making it look like a fight's gone on in Poundland...

Is it a total ban? or asking that items are placed in a way that will permit mowing?

You may find this quote from their own Charter document helpful to your cause:

Where successful schemes are operating, it is noticeable that the parents or family need to place teddy bears, dolls and other baby related items on the grave.

This can be accommodated by the grave design (by a hard surface at the head of the grave) and should not be regulated against.

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/F748DF6A-6A6B-4F94-8CAB-3AB956C344E7/0/BereavementCharter.pdf

Thank you for that cgksheff makes interesting reading. Just an update, The Star are covering that story and Look North will be there on Monday dinnnertime.

Whilst I sympathise, I am siding with the council on this matter. The cemetery where my grandparents are buried has similar sort of shrines on various graves, but unfortunately they litter the cemetery when the wind takes hold and without wanting to sound a snob, make the place look a little tacky. I appreciate people want to mark their repsect in alternative ways, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Edited by Agent Orange

And yet the same cemetery has a Muslim section in which graves are decorated the same way and one grave has a stone surround which is totally against the cemetery rules..guess what...nothing has been said about these graves

And yet the same cemetery has a Muslim section in which graves are decorated the same way and one grave has a stone surround which is totally against the cemetery rules..guess what...nothing has been said about these graves

You sad person, playing the race card at every opportunity. :rolleyes: