Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

Yeah he is over the worse of it now...making good recovery....I just thought that anyone with swine flu would be given tamiflu.......and/or close people would be given it to help prevent the spread?!?! :confused: Nothing given to his partner or immediate family

tamiflu only works within the 1st 48 hours after that it wont do anything. all it does it cut the worst symptoms down by a day, so if you've already had it 3-4 days you're nearing the end anyway and tamiflu wont make any difference, so paracetamol is the best thing for temperature, aches n pains ect.

did you know that now they have stopped testing people for swine flu only about 25% of those diagnosed have actually got it? the other 75% are other strains of flu and colds, so even if you're told you have it unless ur tested and confirmed theres still only about a 25% chance you have actually got swine flu. currently there are numerous different strains of flu and colds going round! also out of 27,000 people that visited their gps upto the end of last week only 9,750 acutally have flu and most of them havent been officially diagnosed.

did you know that now they have stopped testing people for swine flu only about 25% of those diagnosed have actually got it? the other 75% are other strains of flu and colds, so even if you're told you have it unless ur tested and confirmed theres still only about a 25% chance you have actually got swine flu. currently there are numerous different strains of flu and colds going round! also out of 27,000 people that visited their gps upto the end of last week only 9,750 acutally have flu and most of them havent been officially diagnosed.

Without the lab test how do GPs know what strain of flu they're dealing with ? There is no difference in major symptoms between the strains of flu so surely those figures can be nothing more than guesswork ??

Just stating my opinion - if places need closing then close them - seems to me that this swine flu is killing anybody it likes

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but yours is just sheer irresponsible nonsense!

Oh great just got back from the nothern general as started to get pains in my legs apparently it is swine flu all i have to do now is rest, but i cant have the tablets because ive already had it nearly 4 days but he thinks its going going on how many times ive been sick, apparently its bringing it out of me if that makes sense. And hopefully should feel better by the weekend i hope :)

Cool, get well soon! :)

Hope you feeling better soon Sunblock

I been told tonight of a guy that has just been given paracetomol from his doc....diagnosed swine flu...take a week off work and take paracetamol :confused:

Well................:confused::confused:

To be confused by this is alarming! Perhaps if you sit back and THINK you will realise that this endorses everything I've tried to say with respect to this 'disease' and how acutely it affects most people. and this is from someone with Asthma so I might get it really bad but I'll not use that as an excuse to s**t everyone else up at the expense of facts (i.e. GP information and real time observations!)

Yeah he is over the worse of it now...making good recovery....I just thought that anyone with swine flu would be given tamiflu.......and/or close people would be given it to help prevent the spread?!?! :confused: Nothing given to his partner or immediate family

Now, I agree that not giving people in the same household Tamiflu is somewhat stupid........

I know my sister is back from hols soon and shes worried shes going to catch it off me, i havnt really been in contact with too many people before hand so hopefully havnt passed it on to too many others

Where you in contact with her over the last week or so? If not you aint gonna give it her now.

Here here. I do think they should raise their game with testing everyone though, not for numbers, but to keep an eye on how it spreads and develops. This morning they blamed people not going to the docs for the low numbers diagnosed. It's more like the docs are sick of it and can't be arsed to check anymore.. Now this is stupid because the one thing I will let the doom and gloomers off with is speculation that it might get worse (but this does not mean yeah, punch out the worse case scenario and draw exact parralels with Spanish flu either because thats just BS!!!!)

I dont think Tamiflu would help prevent the spread, it just lessens the symptoms.

Without the lab test how do GPs know what strain of flu they're dealing with ? There is no difference in major symptoms between the strains of flu so surely those figures can be nothing more than guesswork ??

Exactly. When things were easy our Labour gov. did a great job. Once the going got tough they dropped the ball yet again!