Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

However to answer your question............ it would appear from the correspondence on here that the whole of Sheffield has swine flu... so I would advise that you keep well away from the city. I understand on the QT that the government are about to quarantine the whole of the Sheffield area and that plague pits are being dug at Bramhall Lane and Hillsborough.

No one on the Manor or the Wyebourne are affected as they are immune to everything in these areas

It sounds like normal flu to me, the people who have major health issues are more at risk.

People with real flu get very ill as well dont they? Why worse than that?

I spoke to my health visitor about concerns and she says it is obviously something to take note of and continue using the usual hygeine methods IE washing hands before handling my little one and stuff but she said she believes media has blown it all out of proportion. Thousands of people world wide die of normal flu every year, its the same thing except this time the media is taking notice of it...I do beleive the media will take on anything and blow it out of proportions to keep people watching the news...

I think we just need to take away the "Swine" bit, and what are we left with?

Flu. Which thousands catch every year anyway.

I think we just need to take away the "Swine" bit, and what are we left with?

Flu. Which thousands catch every year anyway.

And, sadly, many die of it every year too, but it barely gets a mention in the press.

Yes, it's running wild and we're all going to die.

lolololol the end is nigh lol

quick question.

if you have the symptoms of swine flu is it absolutly nessacary to contact a gp or can you just ride it out.

i feel crap but do not want to bother anyone if its just like having the normal flu.

quick question.

if you have the symptoms of swine flu is it absolutly nessacary to contact a gp or can you just ride it out.

i feel crap but do not want to bother anyone if its just like having the normal flu.

If you are normally fit and well then it's best to ride it out.

Stay at home, take paracetamol and drink plenty of fluids.

Get well soon xx

I'm not normally one to get angsty about this sort of thing. But I've been listening to Radio 4 for ~21 hours a day this week, while glued to my laptop madly writing my thesis, and they've been banging on about it so often, that I've built it up to HUGE proportions in my head!

I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm flying back home to my parents' house once my thesis is done, where my dad's terminal cancer has aboud 2 month max left. He's well enough at the moment, but I'm now terrified that I'll pick up the flu on the trip home, and bring it home to him, and that I'll then be responsible for speeding up the whole death thing - and instead of just slipping into a coma in a month or so, he'll spend his last days feeling rotten.... Oh God, I hope not!

And I'm fully aware how irrational I'm being :(

I sincerely hope, purple frog, that you can enjoy time with your dad once all the pressure is off you.

I imagine once your thesis is done and you can sleep and relax things will change. Practice good hygiene and try not to worry, you have quite enough going on.

I'll be thinking of you.

Can I just say that the way the nhs system is working for babies is absolutely disgusting. My 11 month old grand-daughter has been ill with cold like symptoms for a few weeks now, but obvously not wanting to appear to be neurotic parents/grandparents we thought it would get better. Unfortunately she developed a ruttle at the bottom of her lungs on tuesday, which I was not happy with and urged my daughter to take her to the walk in gp center on broad lane. She said that the dr was far more concerened in keeping away from her and did not even examine her properly but said that her lungs were clear. he said she hadn't got swine flu and if she continued to have dry nappies take her to the childrens. By thursday morning the poor thing was so weak she couldn't lift her head up and was just like a rag doll. She was burning up. My daughter and I were very concerned so she rang the GP. The RECEPTIONIST gave her a number to ring. This was a recorded message telling her the symptoms of swine flu which we already knew, and we had already been told she didn't have it. No advice, no offer to come out and see her, my daughter was at her wits end. I told her to take her to the childrens. I don't care about all the media crap about staying away from hospitals and gps, I care about my grand-daughters life, and had we been medically advised properly she wouldnt have been this ill. When they got there she was rushed though past the queue, tubed up and put on oxygen. Her temperature was dangerously high and her oxygen dangerously low and she has got pneumonia. After getting the results of the swabs yesterday she is also positive for swine flu. I am absolutely disgusted that parents are been made to feel like this. How dare they ignore a baby as ill as this. Is it not the job of medical staff to tend to ill people, let alone babies? Luckily she is looking a lot better now, after the antibiotics and oxygen she has been on, but how many poor parents are sitting at home because they are scared to insist on medical treatment as people are being told to stay away from doctors and hospitals. I was under the impression that GPs should see chidren under 12 months old.

Can I just say that the way the nhs system is working for babies is absolutely disgusting. My 11 month old grand-daughter has been ill with cold like symptoms for a few weeks now, but obvously not wanting to appear to be neurotic parents/grandparents we thought it would get better. Unfortunately she developed a ruttle at the bottom of her lungs on tuesday, which I was not happy with and urged my daughter to take her to the walk in gp center on broad lane. She said that the dr was far more concerened in keeping away from her and did not even examine her properly but said that her lungs were clear. he said she hadn't got swine flu and if she continued to have dry nappies take her to the childrens. By thursday morning the poor thing was so weak she couldn't lift her head up and was just like a rag doll. She was burning up. My daughter and I were very concerned so she rang the GP. The RECEPTIONIST gave her a number to ring. This was a recorded message telling her the symptoms of swine flu which we already knew, and we had already been told she didn't have it. No advice, no offer to come out and see her, my daughter was at her wits end. I told her to take her to the childrens. I don't care about all the media crap about staying away from hospitals and gps, I care about my grand-daughters life, and had we been medically advised properly she wouldnt have been this ill. When they got there she was rushed though past the queue, tubed up and put on oxygen. Her temperature was dangerously high and her oxygen dangerously low and she has got pneumonia. After getting the results of the swabs yesterday she is also positive for swine flu. I am absolutely disgusted that parents are been made to feel like this. How dare they ignore a baby as ill as this. Is it not the job of medical staff to tend to ill people, let alone babies? Luckily she is looking a lot better now, after the antibiotics and oxygen she has been on, but how many poor parents are sitting at home because they are scared to insist on medical treatment as people are being told to stay away from doctors and hospitals. I was under the impression that GPs should see chidren under 12 months old.

How awful for you all,poor little girl. Glad that she is on the mend and i hope that she gets better very soon.x

Have you complained to your GP ? Make a formal, written complaint.

Pleased that she is in good hands at SCH and receiving the best of care within the NHS.

Hope she is home soon.