Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

Will some one else do the maths for this poster as he will think I'm having a go at him!

Shall I go through what I did step by step then?

You said there were 95,000 reported cases worldwide.

So if there are 6 billion people in the world, that would be 6,000,000,000 divided by 95,000, which equals 63,157.89, or 63,158 rounded up.

My post said:

That would mean 1 case in every 63,158 people - the equivalent of 4 cases in the whole of Barnsley.

So I was correct. So can you tell me where my error was.

You also said there were 450 reported deaths worldwide.

So if there are 6 billion people in the world, that would be 6,000,000,000 divided by 450, which equals 13,333,333.33, or 13,333,333 rounded down.

My post said:

That would mean 1 death in every 13.33 million people - the equivalent of 4.5 cases in the whole of the UK

So yet again, tell me where my maths is letting me down.

Research has shown swine flu is 5 times more virulent than seasonal flu.. Which means it can be expected to kill 5 times as many . a third of our population are projected to contract swine flu. so some posters have stated that normal flu kills around 30000 in the uk. So if this swine flu spread like a normal flu we could expect 150000 deaths. However deaths of children and in the summer are rare in seasonal flu.

Swine flu is reaching epidemic proportions and from this you could guesstimate , 500000 dying by this time next year. If this was h5n1 you could put that figure upto 15million or so.

Update:

Daughter is at home, apetite intact, cough, sneeze, low-ish "official" temperature, but she tends to run cool anyway.

Doctor happy she is not showing enough symptoms, so she's "free to go", and I will be taking her to nursery in the morning.

UNLESS she develops other symptoms.

Seems this is just a cold.

BORING,this thread has been taken over by really boring people.

Update:

Daughter is at home, apetite intact, cough, sneeze, low-ish "official" temperature, but she tends to run cool anyway.

Doctor happy she is not showing enough symptoms, so she's "free to go", and I will be taking her to nursery in the morning.

UNLESS she develops other symptoms.

Seems this is just a cold.

hope she is okay

A little bit of history to put this current outbreak into perspective:

Link

That puts jack s**t into perspective!

Shall I go through what I did step by step then?

You said there were 95,000 reported cases worldwide.

So if there are 6 billion people in the world, that would be 6,000,000,000 divided by 95,000, which equals 63,157.89, or 63,158 rounded up.

My post said:

So I was correct. So can you tell me where my error was.

You also said there were 450 reported deaths worldwide.

So if there are 6 billion people in the world, that would be 6,000,000,000 divided by 450, which equals 13,333,333.33, or 13,333,333 rounded down.

My post said:

So yet again, tell me where my maths is letting me down.

Your assuming all the 6billion has swine flu

Can we have a different "anarchist" thread for conspiracy theorists and generall saddos ? This is a "latest developments" thread, not a "discuss the politics of" thread !

0.5% actually. Lets actually try and get some accurate info into this thread!

Lets try simply reading the post I made again. THE ACTUAL CASES WILL BE AT LEAST 10 TIMES HIGHER (than those confirmed). Thats what I said. I think my 0's were still out but you totally missed the point completely.

BORING,this thread has been taken over by really boring people.

I like it... it's like watching a boil festering.

How many people will actually work themselves up so much on here to a point of displaying the symptoms without contracting the illness just because they are scared?

For gawds sake if you catch it you catch it, chances are you'll spend a few days feeling really crappy, drink a hell of alot of beechams, catch up on some reading and then wonder what all the fuss was about.

Your assuming all the 6billion has swine flu

Eh??

No I'm not!

You said there have been 95,000 reported cases - I am telling you how many reported cases that is per person in the world (1 case per 68,000 people)

Same for deaths (around 1 case per 13,333,333 people)

Honestly...

Thats how statistics work. It's like saying 1 in 3 people will have cancer at some stage in their life. It does not mean 1 in 3 people have cancer at the same time!

You obviously have no clue how statistics work.

Edited by Ginger Daddy

Research has shown swine flu is 5 times more virulent than seasonal flu.. Which means it can be expected to kill 5 times as many . a third of our population are projected to contract swine flu. so some posters have stated that normal flu kills around 30000 in the uk. So if this swine flu spread like a normal flu we could expect 150000 deaths. However deaths of children and in the summer are rare in seasonal flu.

Swine flu is reaching epidemic proportions and from this you could guesstimate , 500000 dying by this time next year. If this was h5n1 you could put that figure upto 15million or so.

Thats the most flawed pile of nonsence I've actually ever read, and I'm not trying to be rude but it should be removed for being so extremely DAFT!