Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

My 17 month old daughter attends a nursery where there has been one confirmed case. Her potential direct exposure was minimal given the days she attends, but last night we were up for nearly three hours with her, she was coughing, sneezing, and had a temperature.

We called NHS direct, who said that she ought to be on tamiflu, especially given her medical history ( which is in the past, not present ). They advised that the local out of hours GP service would call us back.

They called back, and went through the symptoms, and advised us to put her on Calpol and some other stuff, and if she gets worse, to call back.

We called the doctor this morning to confirm details, and they have put us on a triage list ( as they have 'local' knowledge of our situation ), and should be calling us some time soon.

Now - I'm a realist here. At some stage or another, we are ALL going to get this flu - we all know how these things spread - whether it be flu, sickness bug etc..

I know there are risks - we have two members of immediate family who have ongoing chest / lung issues, and to expose these members to Rachel would be risky ( although this may have already happened ). Hence our urge to try and get this either diagnosed officially, or put down to "summer cold" - so that the other members of the family can be prepared.

I think keeping everybody indoors is a daft policy, if anything, they ought to be saying to people "if you have a condition in this list... you are advised to stay indoors for the next few weeks" - keep the vulnerable minority protected while this thing quickly runs riot around the rest of us !

so why the hell are the schools still open then for it to spread willy nilly, it seems to me like "stuff the kids, lets take care of all the coffin dodgers"

yeah ,lets close every public place ,lets close every office ,supermarket, shopping centre ,publis sports centres , good idea :huh:

and what happens in school holidays when parents take their little darlings swimming or shopping -i suppose that wont spread it then ? orare parents going to quarintine their kids for the entire holidays

stop panicing people

you know as well as i do she was using a metomophis {sp}.

she is a worried parent and has every right to be worried. CHILDREN ARE DYING!

THIS VIRUS IS STILL A RUSSIAN ROULETTE AS TO WHO GETS IT MILD AND WHO DIES, ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE THE CHANCE WITH YOUR CHILDS LIFE?

Won't someone please think of the children :D

Seriously though if you close the schools early I would bet good money more children would die in road accidents and accidents in the home than from this virus.

Also I hadn't realised this outbreak was at a level of seriousness that required caps lock on. I was reserving that for an ebola outbreak (now that is a virus not like a namby pamby H1N1 virus).

so why the hell are the schools still open then for it to spread willy nilly, it seems to me like "stuff the kids, lets take care of all the coffin dodgers"

Looks like hysteria is taking hold. :rolleyes:

From where do you get the idea that old people are enjoying any kind of priority ?

you know as well as i do she was using a metomophis {sp}.

she is a worried parent and has every right to be worried. CHILDREN ARE DYING!

THIS VIRUS IS STILL A RUSSIAN ROULETTE AS TO WHO GETS IT MILD AND WHO DIES, ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE THE CHANCE WITH YOUR CHILDS LIFE?

DO YOU LET YOUR KIDS CROSS ROADS? DO YOU LET THEM TRAVEL IN CARS? hAVE YOU BEEN IN CONTACT WITH OTHER HUMAN BEINGS IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS?

FFS, calm down.

And the word you queried is metaphor i think.

As my child is still in school, yes.

Obviously this makes me a bad parent.

Maybe you would like to call Social Services and get him taken off me?

my child is also in school so that makes two bad parents, perhaps you would like to report me to social services too.

the point i am trying to make is that everyone is reacting differently to this and some people just need a little reassurance not being made to look like an idiot.

its just not nice

From where do you get the idea that old people are enjoying any kind of priority ?

im awaiting the panic merchants to start panic buying food and battening down the hatches :hihi::hihi::hihi:

My 17 month old daughter attends a nursery where there has been one confirmed case. Her potential direct exposure was minimal given the days she attends, but last night we were up for nearly three hours with her, she was coughing, sneezing, and had a temperature.

We called NHS direct, who said that she ought to be on tamiflu, especially given her medical history ( which is in the past, not present ). They advised that the local out of hours GP service would call us back.

They called back, and went through the symptoms, and advised us to put her on Calpol and some other stuff, and if she gets worse, to call back.

We called the doctor this morning to confirm details, and they have put us on a triage list ( as they have 'local' knowledge of our situation ), and should be calling us some time soon.

Now - I'm a realist here. At some stage or another, we are ALL going to get this flu - we all know how these things spread - whether it be flu, sickness bug etc..

I know there are risks - we have two members of immediate family who have ongoing chest / lung issues, and to expose these members to Rachel would be risky ( although this may have already happened ). Hence our urge to try and get this either diagnosed officially, or put down to "summer cold" - so that the other members of the family can be prepared.

I think keeping everybody indoors is a daft policy, if anything, they ought to be saying to people "if you have a condition in this list... you are advised to stay indoors for the next few weeks" - keep the vulnerable minority protected while this thing quickly runs riot around the rest of us !

Sensible post, sensible attitude.

Best wishes to your daughter, hope she isnt too ill with whatever she has.

DO YOU LET YOUR KIDS CROSS ROADS? DO YOU LET THEM TRAVEL IN CARS? hAVE YOU BEEN IN CONTACT WITH OTHER HUMAN BEINGS IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS?

FFS, calm down.

And the word you queried is metaphor i think.

whatever the word is everyone knew what she meant.:rolleyes:

yes i let my kids cross the road.

yes i drive them all over.

yes they have been in contact with other people and i will continue to do all of the above.

what i am trying to say is if the spread of this virus is unstoppable then why are people with suspected swine flu being told not to attend the gp surgery and not to go out in public.

as alot of you keep saying we are all going to get it eventually but schools are a haven fr breeding germs, look how quickly nits go around.

if it is unstoppable then why all the stay at home stuff in the first place.

and i am not hysterical...... morons:rolleyes:

i am not for one minute getting hysterical.

what i am trying to point out is quite simple really :rolleyes:.

why is it that they are letting it run free in schools but trying to contain it in the doctors surgery.

I assume that you're going to take your child out of school every year then? Flu kills children every year, it just doesn't make the news headlines.

Better yet never let them out of the house or have contact with anyone. Just to be safe.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

I assume that you're going to take your child out of school every year then? Flu kills children every year, it just does make the news headlines.

Better yet never let them out of the house or have contact with anyone. Just to be safe.

oh for gods sake, i am not asking for schools to be shut early and my child is still in school and will be until they break up for the holidays.

can anyone answer the quiestion i have asked?