Child Abuse Advice Needed!

I think Duncan you are totally missing the point. The op just wanted to give some back ground then get a general consenous. I dont feel the op wanted to know if they should or should not give their name.

The point is about the children, ok, i would report your concerns to social services, however, i would make it clear that i had no solid proof and that it was all based on what you beleive to be happening.

I work with vunerable people and someone needs to speak up. What really annoys me is people that say "oh well it's nowt to do with us" after all children have sadly died in other instances.

Go on you follow your heart, don't wait until something really tragic happens, then sit there and say "if only"

Finally you got alot of good folk on here who agree with your feelings.

Go to the girls school and speak to the teacher in charge of child protection.They are trained in these matters and will know what to do. If they are concerned they will report it to social services. That is what I did in similar circumstances. Turned out things were even worse then I had imagined so I was glad I did.

I hope this isn't a wind up, but sheff...have you done anything about it yet ...or just typed on here ??? Let me know please .

Please stop arguing amongst yourselves and to the op please report this.

You can do it anonomously if you want.

so has the op phoned police/social services yet ? if not why not, remember the case on the flower estate where them kids were almost starved to death and none of the neighbours knew anything about it yet almost all sheffield forum know about it and nothing being done:loopy: so stop the bickering and get it reported

Or get the facts and get it reported. I again stress that you must have something to go to the social services with.

If I actually knew for certain that a child was been abused then of course I would report that.Just like if I knew that someone was claiming benefits illegally as I dont like injustices at all.

However , rumours can be difficult to deal with.

Just thinking a child spends a lot of time in his/her room doesnt constitute abuse.Shouting at a child doesnt either, although of course it isnt good parenting I agree.

Families are very complex and what goes on isnt always rosy.

Many parents have no parenting skills as they didnt learn these from their own parents. But before getting in touch with social services, I do think you must have more than a feeling.

Thats just my opinion, for what it is worth.

If you do know that there is a 9 year old child that is left alone that would be a cause for concern. However just learning that from gossip would be questionable.

Edited by espadrille

If you are acting out of genuine concern for the child then you should report what you know to be true, not something that you heard from somebody who heard it from somebody else. If your motives are good, and your information is factual, then you should act accordingly. If not, Zip it.

I agree with this

I think better to report it and turn out to be wrong than not report it and turn out to be right.

If you decide to report it, ask the authorities if they will keep your details confidential.

most sensible advice yet!

Of course you should report it. The people with experience are going to be able to make a much better assessment wether it seems child abuse is taking place with the information you give them than anyone on here. You could be saving someone from trauma and life long mental health problems. It needs looking into. If there's nothing going on, the worse thing that will happen is the parents get upset, but they'll get over it.

Of course you should report it. The people with experience are going to be able to make a much better assessment wether it seems child abuse is taking place with the information you give them than anyone on here. You could be saving someone from trauma and life long mental health problems. It needs looking into. If there's nothing going on, the worse thing that will happen is the parents get upset, but they'll get over it.

But what can happen and has happened is that once social services become suspicious, they watch the family and if there is no reason to be concerned and the family havent done anything wrong the SS may still be involved.

I do know situations where people feel unable to carry on their life in the normal way as they are being suspected of irregularities that are not always happening.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I don't consider myself to be a drama queen or saving the day, I have genuine concerns and if the information is right then i would be helping a child by reporting the matter, It's something any good normal person would do.

So why haven't you done it, anonymously or otherwise instead of coming on here asking for advice.

If i REALLY thought a child was in any danger i would report it no problem. I would rather be wrong than a child have to suffer any abuse.

Maybe instead of asking on here for "advice" you should be asking yourself how you would feel if that child died and you could have prevented it.

So why haven't you done it, anonymously or otherwise instead of coming on here asking for advice.

If i REALLY thought a child was in any danger i would report it no problem. I would rather be wrong than a child have to suffer any abuse.

Maybe instead of asking on here for "advice" you should be asking yourself how you would feel if that child died and you could have prevented it.

my sentiments also, why waste 24hrs arguing with an idiot.sheff has said she knows a couple of things to be true,think she knows the right thing to do.

PLEASE DO IT.