Child Abuse Advice Needed!

Personally, I would attempt to get some sort of proof. It is very difficult without knowing the circumstances of the family. If it is clear that there is child abuse, then report it.Otherwise, I would be cautious.

It depands also what each person thinks abuse is.

getting social services involved unnecessarily is not recommended.It depends as I say what you think the abuse is.

Personally, I would attempt to get some sort of proof. It is very difficult without knowing the circumstances of the family. If it is clear that there is child abuse, then report it.Otherwise, I would be cautious.

It depands also what each person thinks abuse is.

getting social services involved unnecessarily is not recommended.It depends as I say what you think the abuse is.

Excellent post.

I 100% agree. I think the problem here is though is that the op isnt sure of anything and is relying of rumour which is why he wont leave his name.

Excellent post.

I 100% agree. I think the problem here is though is that the op isnt sure of anything and is relying of rumour which is why he wont leave his name.

Wrong i'm afraid! I wouldn't leave my name regardless of whether i knew what i have heard is true or not true!

Do you think the child(ren) are genuinely being abused?

If so. call the statutory bodies like the soc' services, or the NSPCC/ Barnardoes and report it.

If there is something going on, and the Statutory bodies find out, the child will (Hopefully) be removed from the situation and/ or protected a little better.

If there is nothing going on, then the Statutory bodies can close the case, as the child/ren aren't coming to any harm...

Think about that poor litle girl in Birmingham, Kyra Ishaq. Or Jasmine Beckford, Tyra Hendry and Victoria Climbie. Think about that family of kiddies who were systematically abused, kept in Squalor, and starved here in Sheffield recently. or that babby at the pub in Addy Street.

Do you really want a repeat of these outrages?

I think better to report it and turn out to be wrong than not report it and turn out to be right.

If you decide to report it, ask the authorities if they will keep your details confidential.

I have been in a similar situation regarding a child. I had been told things, and had also seen things for myself.

I emailed the NSPCC for advice stating exactly what I knew first hand and what I had merely been told.

I received a very quick response which said that what I had described was child abuse and I should notify social services, but I would need the child's name, age and address.

I did not know the surname, and could only guess that the child was about two. However I rang with what information I had and they said they could not do anything without more information.

So, I changed tack and decided I would try and make friends with the mother and offer my support. This I have done and have seen no further evidence of injury. I realise that doesn't necessarily prove anything, but the child itself always seems happy with a lovely smile. So for now I am keeping a watch on things, but wouldn't hesitate if I saw new injuries that looked suspicious.

It is for others to decide if I was right or wrong.

I think better to report it and turn out to be wrong than not report it and turn out to be right.

If you decide to report it, ask the authorities if they will keep your details confidential.

That's exactly what i am thinking.

I have been in a similar situation regarding a child. I had been told things, and had also seen things for myself.

I emailed the NSPCC for advice stating exactly what I knew first hand and what I had merely been told.

I received a very quick response which said that what I had described was child abuse and I should notify social services, but I would need the child's name, age and address.

I did not know the surname, and could only guess that the child was about two. However I rang with what information I had and they said they could not do anything without more information.

So, I changed tack and decided I would try and make friends with the mother and offer my support. This I have done and have seen no further evidence of injury. I realise that doesn't necessarily prove anything, but the child itself always seems happy with a lovely smile. So for now I am keeping a watch on things, but wouldn't hesitate if I saw new injuries that looked suspicious.

It is for others to decide if I was right or wrong.

Good post, I agree entirely.

You can report your fears anonymously to your local Social Services Access Team, they will respect your confidentiality and probably to an unannounced home visit to see if anything is untoward.

Not sure where you are but I work in Rotherham and have all the phone numbers for that area should you need them, but can't help with Sheffield area atm - good luck, and it's not worth risking the wellbeing of a child for fear of repercussions.

See Lorries done the job cheers !

Edited by Fibutton

I was reported (maliciously) to the RSPCA a couple of years ago, allegedly neclecting, starving and beating my old dog... (Yeah! Right!)

The RSPCA wasted precious time and resources that could have been used to help a dog or cat that was genuinely being maltreated.

However, I have to say, I'm glad they came out, in a way, because had old dog been a truly maltreated animal, at least they could intervene...

I would far rather their money had not been wasted on a wild goose chase, but just think if he really had been harmed, and they hadn't come out... :cry:

I was reported (maliciously) to the RSPCA a couple of years ago, allegedly neclecting, starving and beating my old dog... (Yeah! Right!)

The RSPCA wasted precious time and resources that could have been used to help a dog or cat that was genuinely being maltreated.

However, I have to say, I'm glad they came out, in a way, because had old dog been a truly maltreated animal, at least they could intervene...

I would far rather their money had not been wasted on a wild goose chase, but just think if he really had been harmed, and they hadn't come out... :cry:

Adding to this i will just say i reported my next door neighbour for the exact same thing. The difference was he WAS beating his dog, starving it and generaly being a nasty get with it.

The RSPCA never turned up even after 3 calls where i had left my name, address and phone number. I phoned the police instead and they said it was an rscpa matter and wouldnt do anything.

What a fantastic society we live in.