Advice on a good pet shop (and pet) in sheffield

blimey that was quick thinking!! lol

Mine is made from 4 fence posts, one in each corner, ply clad sides, ply roof with felt on (hinged to alter the ventilation), and an old trailer lid for the floor which pulls out to be cleaned. There's a big window on one side from corrugated clear plastic roof sheet, a hen door on one end and a people door on the other. Btw it stands on legs so the floor is about 2' up and the hens can shelter and dustbathe underneath. I used rounded edged 2"x2" batons and shelf brackets for the perches. There's no nest boxes or run though. I find eggs in whichever stable is the favourite of the month and the hens fully free range.

As a minimum for 3 hens you'll need 3sq foot in the house and 3sq yards in the run.

A converted rabbit hutch would work well for just 2/3 hens in a run that size. :)

Could i just ask as i would love some ex batterys ( huge animal lover ) Can you keep them in a council house / ex council house?? Cos my friend says you cant???

It depends, most rented housing you can't according to the lease, some owned properties too. However the allotment act overrides that, although I don't have much knowledge of that. If you give your neighbours a few eggs once in a while to keep them sweet then there should be no real issues otherwise. Check your deeds/lease though first!

PM is now free. rats are out im afraid (sorry even though i appreciate suggestions).

Heres order i am thinking

budgie/parrot/bird

hamster/guinea pig

rabbit/hen

i must admit the chickens sound nice....

just have to find someone with the above then decide. low maintenance is again a big point for me as 1st ever pet

Definitely wouldn't go for a bird for your first pet. They need a lot of consideration as their needs are v diffierent from other animals Plus they are v sesitive to chemicals, including scented candles, air fresheners etc. and fumes given off by non-stick cookwear, which is highly toxic and can kill them within hours. They need a large cage and plenty of time to fly free in the day time (which means bird-proofing your room, plus clearing up droppings every day). Plus they live for quite a long time (budgies up to 15 years, parrots much longer).

I like the hen idea though, good luck! :)

Thank you all SO much for your suggestions and help. its threads like this that make sheffield forum so grate.

Lotti - the hens have just pipped the hamster inc berkanas advice on birds (now 3rd place) so if i do ever go down that route ill check you up! Henhugger thanks for msgs. its now a case of getting a cage made based on ure advice but im trying to source internet diagrams/stuff. they must be out their. ive registered and theirs a colleciton this sunday. if i miss it looks like it might be next month :(

The fact they are ex battery and need a stable, good, family home and outside natural environment so ure doing a good thing is what pipped it. thanks

Thats killed it.

Jobsworth housing officials. Just phoned them said i cant keep hens. even a measly 3.

I tried explaining battery hens but werent interested. just said no and someone comes round and explains why later etc... sounds like a fob off. though why someone in the council housing or housing authority cant have it in their heart to allow small numbers which hurt no one is beyond me. not like were asking for a factory or chickens to inundate the street.

very disappointed

Aw sorry to hear that Olive Tree :(

I'm not allowed hens either - but that's because of my mother, not the council :lol:

If you decide to go down hammy route instead now you can't have chickens let me know but good luck with whatever pet you decide (and that they'll let you have!)

I've had guinea pigs for years and years, they have to be the best pets.

Downside to hamsters is they dont live very long.

That is very true Nikita...

I have no idea how old my guys are (rescues) so no idea how long I'll have them for.

Bummer about the hens :(

But better to find out now than to have to rehome them later when you have gotten emotionally attached.

Aww that's crap, very sorry to hear that :( If you really want some maybe you could put your name down for an allotment n see what happens? I think you're allowed them on some allotments but not 100%...