Advice on a good pet shop (and pet) in sheffield

I got a nice little bunny from Middletons garden/pet shop. He is a lovely little fellow and ive never seen another rabbit like it anywhere.

What about hens? They make great pets and will lay yummy eggs too! There's a few from here who have rehomed via http://www.henrehomers.net and have been thrilled to bits with their "ladies"!! :)

lol i had rat there good pets but dont leave there cage near your cloths lol mine pull my brand new tracksuit bottoms in and chewsloads of little holes threw them was like holy moley

PM is now free. rats are out im afraid (sorry even though i appreciate suggestions).

Heres order i am thinking

budgie/parrot/bird

hamster/guinea pig

rabbit/hen

i must admit the chickens sound nice....

just have to find someone with the above then decide. low maintenance is again a big point for me as 1st ever pet

Henhummer can i give me advice on the hen, nothing hidden...?

1) Get hen (easyish bit)

2) need a hut

3) What do they eat?

4) Single hens dont need license do they?

5) Dos and donts.

the website looks great but if u or anyone who has hens can answer id appreciate it very much:thumbsup:

OK looks like the hen idea has nigel manselled its way to the top. just been reading the site. Looks realy interesting. i just have to get/make a chicken coop. the gardens big enough. might try 2 hens, as they say 1 would get lonely, dont think i can handle 3 just yet.

and its for a good cause as ex battery hens. anyone else on this forum done it? what was your experiences?

thanks!

My grandad's African Grey can't be left - he pulls his feathers out. Don't know how often this happens in parrots but I think they do thrive on company and stimulation.

With rabbits and guinea pigs you should really have a pair otherwise they're much more high maintenance.

Russian Dwarf hamsters should be brought up in pairs but the majority end up being split up so prepare to find space for a second cage unless you take on a RD that's already fallen out with his cage mate. Syrians are more commonly found as singles.

Don't know anything about hens :lol:

There's plenty of places to get hens from, and coops for that matter, from the deluxe eglu cubes to a basic starter kit to make your own. I made my own, cost me about £20 in total whereas a basic starter kit is around £200 and the cube is nearer £600. Hens eat layers pellets from POL (point of lay which is a life stage such as puberty in kids and where they should be starting to lay. Generally around 18 weeks for the laying hybrids but differs from breed to breed and hen to hen) with a bit of mixed corn and added greens for variety. You won't need to register your flock unless you have 50 or more. Youcan voluntarily register though if you wish and recieve text or email alerts for any disease outbreaks in the area (I've not had any for a long time). You'll need at least two hens as they like company, but three is better. Hens are relatively easy to keep, not like you need to walk them twice a day!! :)

hamsters are cute but bite dont they? Dont want to discount anything yet... also do they smell and how often do u clean the cages? not being a lazy git btw just that i beleive in "pets for life not just for diwali/christmase/eid/hannukah etc"

Any diagrams on this chicken coop? with credit crunch and that 200 is quite a bit. sounds like u did a good job though. just what im after.. i got a garden probably 3sq metres in size (just the spare bit not whole size). which i think is more than enough for 2-3 birds.

btw i just registered!

Neither of my guys bite - Rocky's bitten me once *but* he didn't break the skin at all and it didn't hurt - was just a shock.

The only time he's shown aggression is when he got his poor little foot stuck in his cage door (I was out at the time, no idea how he did it) and had fallen asleep by the time I got there - yes he's not too smart - he woke up to me trying to get him out, foot swollen like a marble and was not a happy chappy.

Even then I didn't get bitten and he kept the foot, recovered fully :)

I'm currently clicker training Rocky so will let you know how I get on! I never really liked hamsters to tell you the truth but they are pretty cool :lol:

I clean their cages out once every two weeks unless I start to smell them before that (don't tend to). They tend to smell more than some other animals because they are usually kept on shavings but I use fragranced shavings (which I can't actually smell) and shredded paper.

A bag of food will last me a good while and is only £1.99 to buy.

A £3.15 bag of shavings will get me through 2 or 3 cage cleans for both of them and the shredded paper I just use from our paper shredder! :lol:

They get loads of treats as well but their favourites are black sunflower seeds... I bought a 500g bag of them from my shop for 60p and I don't think I'll ever need to buy another one! :lol:

If you want to meet either of them let me know. I'm still winning Rolo around as he's pretty shy but you're welcome to meet Rocky who is fab and has no learnt to run and get on my hand if I put it in the cage.