Im disgusted with someone in Crookes

calm down with the student bashing, uni finished for most about 2/3 weeks ago, maybe more. therefore most have probably moved back home like i have done in the past.

it is a shame that this has happened though, idiots can't help doing things like this unfortunately, its cos they is well 'ard innit

I agree about the student bashing thing. If you go past St. Lukes when someone has left bags outside, just have a look at the mess there. Thats not students, I saw two young boys, around 11/12 years old, just wrecking the stuff for the hell of it. We have quite a few small gangs of "yobs" in Crookes, and I would be looking at them rather than students.

What I put in my opening post was Students??.

This was a question and one that could only be answered if we could see eveidence of what actually happened..

Goes to walk up rd to look and see if there are CCTV cameras...

Could have been some old pensioners disgusted with a waste of taxpayers money. :thumbsup:

What I put in my opening post was Students??.

This was a question and one that could only be answered if we could see eveidence of what actually happened..

Goes to walk up rd to look and see if there are CCTV cameras...

Espadrille, you claim to represent and work for the community in Crookes, yet you single out a (large) section of that community as being responsible with no proof whatsoever. Yes you are posing a question as to who it might be, but you don't mention any other potential groups/culprits either. Maybe a young professional person who had a bit too much or one of the groups of kids you see about, or how about one of the rough looking types that hang about outside the Punchbowl?

But no, you have a go at students (which is something you seem to do a bit) when the VAST majority of them are fine and do nothing to deserve the slating you give them. You clearly have a problem with them and if I were part of the Crookes Forum then I would be having words with you as I'm sure that's not the view of your fellow members. Or is it?!

Also, students have been part of Crookes for many years, so if you don't like it then maybe you should leave?!

I think that you actually need to re read my original post. the second part was also a suggestion that it could be someone else but you seem to have ignored that part.

The title was that I was disgusted with someone in Crookes. That was true. After putting in many many unpaid hours to help Crookes become a better place and get some floral arrangements(eventually) to make the place look better, I was of course disheartened by what I saw.

I have lived in Crookes along with the students for quite a while also.

As part of the Community Forum, we attempt to represent the views of all the people who live in Crookes, but for 14 months now (and actually before I came on board it was 2 years before that so Crookes Forum has been trying to get going for over 3 years) we have tried and not actually succeeded to get students to represent the views of students on the Forum. It seems that they dont want to be involved, so that is fine.

We have also tried and not actually succeeded to get representation from the business community for our Forum. Many of the business owners who are on Crookes Rd dont live in Crookes and although they have been invited to many of our meetings they have not wanted to get involved for whatever reason.

So. In the absence of having representation, we did surveys which went out to all households in Crookes to see what the residents of Crookes wanted for their community. The biggest part was that they wanted to see the place cleaned up and tidier, with bins being put away and cleaner streets with less graffiti and also they wanted to see more events for the Community.The green space where we have put the planters is part owned by the advertising agency, JC Decaux and they have given us and St Thomas Church permission to tidy it up, although this is problematic without a paid worker.

We have attempted to make the place look better and we have also run events in Crookes.

We all have full time jobs and we do this work voluntarily, so if anyone disagrees with what we do and actually live or work in Crookes, then please come along to one of our meetings and have your say.

Edited by espadrille

Could have been some old pensioners disgusted with a waste of taxpayers money. :thumbsup:

The pensioners of Crookes are welcome to come along and be represented at The Forum and if they dont agree with what we do, then we will take that on board.

We live on Crookes and have had new plants pulled out of the border in front of our house and thrown onto the drive. In our case it was the school kids passing on their way to school :(

They also enjoy destroying the nearby hedge for some reason...

Edited by AngryMuppet

I know students can sometimes be a problem, but I dont think taking flowers out is there style. So Im sticking up for them on this occasion. It sounds to me like it might be bored teenagers?

I have to say... after first living down in the centre of student ville on Crookes for over 5 years prior to moving up to the residential side. I never had as much trouble with students as I am having with the gangs of kids.

On the odd occasions where there were more serious issue with students, having a word with them or (on one occasion) the police sorted it reasonably quickly.

Trying to get through to the gangs of kids seems impossible as they seem to believe they're immune to anything the police or anyone else can do.

Sorry Espadrille, but I am going to be pedantic here, and if you claim to be so involved with Crookes, stop calling the main road Crookes Road, that road is at Broomhill. Our main road is called Crookes.

Espadrille, you have my sympathy. Its hard work and demoralising when somebody sees fit to demolish your efforts, chin up get the plants back in and don't let the little darlings get you down.

Two questions, does Crookes Forum have a website? and when is the next meeting of the Forum incase anyone wants to attend?