Yorkshire orange Lodges celebrate with a parade through Leeds

Yesterday Lodges from Sheffield , Doncaster, Leeds and Malton who belong to the Yorkshire District of the Grand Orange Lodge of England hosted the Northern Provincial Grand Orange Lodge annual parade through Leeds.

This was the first time Leeds had hosted this event for over 40 years and were encouraged in the venture by the tremendous success of the Sheffield Lodges, who were host to the Grand Orange Lodge of England Annual Conference and Celebration Parade and dinner last year, which received many accolades from visiting Brethren and Sisters from throughout the U.K.

The day passed well with a fantastic atmosphere and reception from the people of Yorskhire and indeed the great number of foreign students and visitors who were in Leeds for the day out.

The parade took in a circular route of Leeds City Centre and was led by Grand Lodge and Provincial Officers, some of whom belong to the Lodges in Sheffield, accompanied by Cambuslang Britannia Flute band from Scotland, and the celebrations continued with a social function at a local venue which continued well into the evening with the bands who had taken part in the parade entertaining the local Brethren as well as visitors from Scotland, Ireland, Wales and almost every county in England represented ( even the old enemy from over the hills in lancashire) and a great time was enjoyed by all present.

As with Sheffield the Police and Local authorities must be thanked for the sterling co-operation the organizers were accorded in the planning and execution of the arrangements for the day.

We Look forward to our next visit to Yorkshire, hopefully in again in Sheffield, in the not too distan future.

Yesterday Lodges from Sheffield , Doncaster, Leeds and Malton who belong to the Yorkshire District of the Grand Orange Lodge of England hosted the Northern Provincial Grand Orange Lodge annual parade through Leeds.

This was the first time Leeds had hosted this event for over 40 years and were encouraged in the venture by the tremendous success of the Sheffield Lodges, who were host to the Grand Orange Lodge of England Annual Conference and Celebration Parade and dinner last year, which received many accolades from visiting Brethren and Sisters from throughout the U.K.

The day passed well with a fantastic atmosphere and reception from the people of Yorskhire and indeed the great number of foreign students and visitors who were in Leeds for the day out.

The parade took in a circular route of Leeds City Centre and was led by Grand Lodge and Provincial Officers, some of whom belong to the Lodges in Sheffield, accompanied by Cambuslang Britannia Flute band from Scotland, and the celebrations continued with a social function at a local venue which continued well into the evening with the bands who had taken part in the parade entertaining the local Brethren as well as visitors from Scotland, Ireland, Wales and almost every county in England represented ( even the old enemy from over the hills in lancashire) and a great time was enjoyed by all present.

As with Sheffield the Police and Local authorities must be thanked for the sterling co-operation the organizers were accorded in the planning and execution of the arrangements for the day.

We Look forward to our next visit to Yorkshire, hopefully in again in Sheffield, in the not too distan future.

Did they play any sectarian songs then?

just another my god is greater than your god group that feels the need to keep dragging up the past to wind up other, my god is best, groups

They played a great many things from traditional marches to folk songs to c& w to pop as well as the usual "party tunes"

As there were no Celtic supporters but many England, Rangers, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle ,Everton and Leeds fans the Fields of Athenry and other sectarian songs were not played but the event was concluded by all present joining in singing two verses of our National Anthem

They played a great many things from traditional marches to folk songs to c& w to pop as well as the usual "party tunes"

As there were no Celtic supporters but many England, Rangers, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle ,Everton and Leeds fans the Fields of Athenry and other sectarian songs were not played but the event was concluded by all present joining in singing two verses of our National Anthem

By party tunes do you mean old classics like the "Billy boys"?

It might interest you (it might not as well) that the majority of people in this land don't particularly like the idea of doing unspeakable things to the Catholic population.

Protestants and Catholics mix well over here, events like this can only do damage to these relationships.

I have never understood the relevance or necessity of the Orange order in our modern day society. Surely opening up old wounds and deliberatly annoying people cant be a good thing. You need look no further than Ulster for proof of this. Why not lay it to rest ?, it is part of our history and should be consigned to the history books.

So what is the National Anthem for a religious organisation based mainly in Scotland and NI when they meet in England then? And what have the teams that people support at football got to do with anything, unless it was just the trashy sort of anti-catholic bigotry that I hoped to have seen the last of when I left Scotland?

So what is the National Anthem for a religious organisation based mainly in Scotland and NI when they meet in England then? And what have the teams that people support at football got to do with anything, unless it was just the trashy sort of anti-catholic bigotry that I hoped to have seen the last of when I left Scotland?

I couldn't agree with you more, I left this behind 30 years ago (almost to the day) and we don't want this over here (or over there for that matter).

Besides I'm sure either Liverpool or Everton has a large Catholic following so I can't see them being supportive of the march.

I have never understood the relevance or necessity of the Orange order in our modern day society. Surely opening up old wounds and deliberatly annoying people cant be a good thing. You need look no further than Ulster for proof of this. Why not lay it to rest ?, it is part of our history and should be consigned to the history books.

exactly

all these orange order marches do is to be provocative and stir up the old divisions.

just like the current muslim v anti muslim actions

its purely to cause hatred and division :(

I couldn't agree with you more, I left this behind 30 years ago (almost to the day) and we don't want this over here (or over there for that matter).

Besides I'm sure either Liverpool or Everton has a large Catholic following so I can't see them being supportive of the march.

Traditionally, the two Liverpool teams were based on religious followings exactly as are Hearts/Hibs or Rangers/Celtic; but I've forgotten which way round, and I don't think it really applies nowadays in any case.

Traditionally, the two Liverpool teams were based on religious followings exactly as are Hearts/Hibs or Rangers/Celtic; but I've forgotten which way round, and I don't think it really applies nowadays in any case.

Liverpool have always been closely linked to Celtic, but the religion was never a big thing when I lived there (20 years ago) so can't imagine it is now either. There were a couple of Orange lodges dotted around the Everton valley area, nut not too big or active other than regular (small) marches.

Liverpool = Catholic, Everton = Prot :thumbsup: