Anti-BNP Love Music Hate Racism Event

This event is about diversity and celebrating Sheffield's vibrant cultures from all over the globe! Love Music, Hate Racism! :cool:

ooh lovely, might just turn up.

I'll be the one in the black shirt :thumbsup:

I'm afraid i can't help with the organisation but i will definitely attend!

And to 'THE NEWCOMER' i think you'll find that there are many British people who are involved in terrorism against Britain. No matter what their colour or religion if they were born in Britain then they're British.

Who was is who said 'i don't care much for your opinion but i will defend to my last breath your right to say it'?

I strongly disagree with your statements but you have your right to say it. Just like the BNP and look where that's got us.

And will attend every protest and sign every petition i need to get the BNP out of the EP, and am frankly ashamed that we vote them in in the first place.

http://www.hopenothate.com

And will attend every protest and sign every petition i need to get the BNP out of the EP, and am frankly ashamed that we vote them in in the first place.

With the greatest respect to you, signing petitions and attending rallies will not do anything to get any party out of the european parliament, or any other democraticlly elected body.

If it is percieved that any party is not in the best interests of this or any other country you need to find out why people vote for them and resolve those issues.

Having a big p*ss up might be a very good social happening but I doubt it will achieve anything.

Before the usual suspects start making accusations, I do not support ANY political movement and certainly am not right wing.

The brave British people who died fighting facism would weep to see fellow Brits supporting such a creed.

That they would; but they'd weep all the more, if they could see fellow Brits trying to suppress a political opinion for no other reason than they don't like it. That *IS* such a creed, and moreover it is one which thinks it has the right to abandon democracy if it's not getting the results it wants.

I have no objection to a music festival that promotes anti-racism. If people are going to be standing around with banners that say a political opinion should be banned, I will be protesting to the council that no such event should ever be allowed to take place under British law.

Yet, another opportunity for the SWP(yes, LMHR is another front) to revitalise their flagging organisation, we need responses to the far right, so why doesnt the left take on the issues that are boosting their support: housing, welfare, inequality, the NHS, etc.

Edited by gamezone07

I am in the initial stages of organising a music event in association with Love Music Hate Racism. In reaction to the British Nazi Party's success in the euro-elections and with the summer months approaching, its the perfect time to make some noise.

The idea is to hold a music festival on Devonshire Green, so my first question would be who do I need to speak to in order to get permission to hold it here?

Secondly, I will be putting together a nice big list of performers so please get in touch if you are involved in a performance act (not just music) and are willing to perform at the event.

I will have Sheffield Samba Band on board (as I'm in it) and am hoping to get hold of Capoeira groups, fire poi performers, bhangra groups, african music groups (as many djembe as possible!) acoustic bands and buskers.

Any information with you have that you feel might be useful please share.

This event is about diversity and celebrating Sheffield's vibrant cultures from all over the globe! Love Music, Hate Racism! :cool:

Why didn't you guys simply vote, that would have stopped the BNP?:huh::loopy:

Or am I missing the point :huh:

To organise an event like this seems long winded, whereas going to the polling station and putting an X next to a candidate would have been easier.

My bold

What are your views on people who don't wish to listen to your noise? you sound very much like the thuggish UAF that we see on the TV............do as we say, or we get violent

I've noticed a hypocrisy in those who argue that protesting against the BNP is anti-democratic, i.e. that the BNP won their seats fair & square so those opposed to them should just deal with it.

The hypocrisy arises from the fact that Nick Griffin's core pitch is to oppose the multi-culturalism that he argues was 'imposed' upon the 'indigenous' British people by previous governments. Were not these previous goverments democratically elected? One cannot have it both ways, if democracy is to be accepted warts and all, decisions that one personally doesn't like will need to be swallowed. Conversely if one does not accept democracy then the arguments against groups wanting to 'ban the BNP' are non-starters.

I expect to see those criticising the anti-nazi groups to be even-handed and also criticise the BNP for failing to accept the immigration policies of our democratically elected representitives....

I've noticed a hypocrisy in those who argue that protesting against the BNP is anti-democratic, i.e. that the BNP won their seats fair & square so those opposed to them should just deal with it.

The hypocrisy arises from the fact that Nick Griffin's core pitch is to oppose the multi-culturalism that he argues was 'imposed' upon the 'indigenous' British people by previous governments. Were not these previous goverments democratically elected? One cannot have it both ways, if democracy is to be accepted warts and all, decisions that one personally doesn't like will need to be swallowed. Conversely if one does not accept democracy then the arguments against groups wanting to 'ban the BNP' are non-starters.

I expect to see those criticising the anti-nazi groups to be even-handed and also criticise the BNP for failing to accept the immigration policies of our democratically elected representitives....

And where did you think you found a hypocrisy? The BNP has just as much right as anybody else does, to try and change policy by legitimate means. UAF has the same right. Neither of them has a right to stop the other's voice being heard.

http://www.hopenothate.com

So how will having a booze up and a knees up do anything about the BNP being elected ?

Edited by RobbyBrown

And where did you think you found a hypocrisy? The BNP has just as much right as anybody else does, to try and change policy by legitimate means. UAF has the same right. Neither of them has a right to stop the other's voice being heard.

How very strange. Because you said:

I will be protesting to the council that no such event should ever be allowed to take place under British law.

Sounds like you're trying to stop someone's voice being heard to me.

Warning: this could get circular.

Sounds like you're trying to stop someone's voice being heard to me.

It probably does, since you've chosen to quote only half of a sentence in a deliberate attempt to misrepresent me.

It probably does, since you've chosen to quote only half of a sentence in a deliberate attempt to misrepresent me.

I would not want to do that just to score a point. So here is your paragraph in full:

I have no objection to a music festival that promotes anti-racism. If people are going to be standing around with banners that say a political opinion should be banned, I will be protesting to the council that no such event should ever be allowed to take place under British law.

The fact still remains that what ever the rationale, this sounds very much like an attempt to silence a viewpoint i.e. 'I want to ban those that say another group should be banned'

I did warn that this could get circular!