Is there just no hope for old Betty? (long post)

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu273/schiann_photos/betty001.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu273/schiann_photos/betty002.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu273/schiann_photos/betty003.jpg

This is Betty. My husband and I have been fostering her for Rain Rescue since last December. We took her on, because I wasn't going to be working for a few months, I missed my dogs back in America terribly, and it just made sense to do what we could to help a dog in need while I had the time. We weren't expecting she'd still be living with us this far down the road, though, to be honest.

Now, almost 7 months later, I am looking for work, but I am worried about what to do with Betty when I find a job. We've essentially given up looking for a "forever home" for her, as twice she's been taken to a new home, and twice brought back the next day. The last couple said they didn't think she could ever be adopted to a "normal home" because of her urinary incontinence. I'm not sure what that says about my home, where she's been living for more than half a year...

We slip a pad underneath her if she's going to be somewhere we can't have a puddle, and we went "halvsies" with my husband's parents on a carpet cleaner.

It breaks my heart, because she's just the sweetest, most affectionate, loyal companion you could ask for. As I type, she's laid at my feet (well, ON my feet) pushing her head against my leg. She craves physical contact -- she'll snuggle up to anyone who will let her. We really do love her to bits, and she loves us right back.

But what is to become of her? No one else seems willing to take on a older dog that is going to wee on their carpet, no matter what their temperament, and while I was hoping she'd find a home with a couple of kids who would snuggle her within an inch of her life, I accept that she's probably going to live with us until her age finally catches up to her. That's OK with me. But the trouble is, we need help for Betty's ongoing care, as neither my family nor Rain Rescue were financially prepared to care for her forever.

Rain Rescue published a special appeal for Betty on their website, but I am told there has been zero response. At the risk of sounding like a beggar, I am urging folks to donate even a couple of quid if they can, and perhaps spread the word? I realise there are hundreds of thousands of animals that need our help, but I am trying to do right by at least one...

~ Tresa

Edited by Schiann
added link

Your post just made me cry, she is obsolutely gorgeous and those eyes, i can see why you love her.

You should publish that post in the paper, it would definetly make people dip in their pockets. ;)

have sent you a pm about betty

Is poor old betty not on treatment like PROPALIN for her incontinence? its a brilliant medicine and works!!! ask your vet about it !! someone might be willing to help out if she wasnt incontinent bless her.

i would take her on now,sadly she is not very good with other dogs,and i do have four dogs,but lets remain hopeful for betty,something will turn up x

Medication for her incontinence is one of the things we're hoping someone(s) will help sponsor. She could use some further exploration into the cause and treatment of her incontinence, but the cost is just prohibitive right now.

I agree, if we could get her weeing under control, she would be a lot more adoptable.

I should note that Betty has been to the vets regarding her incontinence, but for reasons of cost, we limited the visits to ruling out any painful or life-threatening causes.

Edited by Schiann
addendum

Aw that's so sad :(

I wish I could but I just can't take on another dog. My nearly 4 year old bitch is incontinent - she became incontinent two years ago and whilst I wouldn't say our home is 'normal' :lol: it's not like a special home is needed for her!

I know you say you've been to the vets have they tried her on propalin? My 4 year old is on propalin and it stops leaks altogether by giving 2-3 times a day. The chances are by the time she reaches old age it will stop working but I wondered if you'd tried it for Betty? It's not particularly expensive and you give a tiny dose at a time so lasts a good while.

ooh if i dint already have 2 dogs iw ould have took her on i feel the old ens are worth while defiantly, plus i also have a young child whoes crawling soo weeing would be no good lol, aaawww i hope you find her a home

I neglected to mention in my OP that Betty is 10+ years old. The vets have said that medication may help her incontinence, but it is also possible that it is age-related and untreatable. She is not spayed, as far as we can tell; and again, because of her age, we've all decided it's probably in her best interest not to put her through that operation.

We would like to try her on meds, but Rain Rescue really does need help to pay for them. My family would love to be able to pay for it ourselves, but the sad fact is, we're struggling, with me not working (and being a foreigner, not entitled to any public funds). I picked a great time to pack up and move to a new country, didn't I? :P

Having met Betty i can confirm what a babe this old lady is, and i think its brilliant the lovely home you have given her.

She has had 2 bad experiences due to people giving up so easily and i keep my fingers crossed that funds can be found to allow this little lady to stay where she is happy and settled.