Best Chinese Takeaways thread.

hi jamine house is the best . i like a few on london rd . ta jeff

I'm not sure what it's called, but there is a Chinese takeaway near where the Proud Potato used to be on middle wood road, and their stuff is lovely. Piled high too, but not Compromised on quality. Their sweet and sour balls are lovely, and if you order just three or four portions of any particular dish, it will feed an army!! Not had one for ages, and when my gut problem clears up, I'm going to try it out again. All this talk is making me feel better already!!:)

there are a few chinese takeaways there. IMO none of them are much cop. Hei Moon (mentioned above) inbetween Leppings Lane and Hillsborough Park tram stops is much better. Sadly the opening hours seem more sporadic and it was a nice restaurant before it came takeaway only.

What's happening to China chef on Birley moor road frecheville. It's been closed for months

CANTON KING Middlewood Rd was, still might be the best Chinese takeaway IMO, in S6 area I don't live in that part of Sheffield anymore, so don't go unfortunately, Smashing food, Massive portions. I Now live near Handsworth and the best one I'v come across is GREAT WALL in Woodhouse..Nice food.

Edited by reaney77

My wife likes HK Wok on London Road, but only heard that they are closed now

If anyone likes Thai food there's a place in Barnsley that I've just discovered called Ahan Thai. The food is beautiful, unfortunately they don't deliver to my house though :(

Speaking as a chinese person, the best chinese takeaway is Huang Lou Xing on Middlewood Road, which is not far from Sheffield Wednesday stadium. The quality is excellant and they are always busy

Red Ruby at Hangingwater are excellent. Fantastic menu and they deliver too.

Hong Kong Garden, top of Ecclesall Road at Banner Cross. They'll make anything you like, even if it's not technically on the menu. Loads of veg in all their dishes (which we like), or takeout from the Noodle Inn, but it is expensive, you might as well eat in.

Speaking as a chinese person, the best chinese takeaway is Huang Lou Xing on Middlewood Road, which is not far from Sheffield Wednesday stadium. The quality is excellant and they are always busy

Ah, but what Chinese people like and what Brits like in a Chinese meal are two different things aren't they? I was told that what's served in British takeaways would be largely unrecognisable to someone from China.

Ah, but what Chinese people like and what Brits like in a Chinese meal are two different things aren't they? I was told that what's served in British takeaways would be largely unrecognisable to someone from China.

I agree that some dishes are created mainly to cater for westerners taste, for example, chop suey dishes or mushroom dishes (which I have never realised they existed until I came to the UK) but for people like me who are from Hong Kong, there are some dishes on the menu which are typical Cantonese dishes that I recognise, dishes we cook at home or order in restaurants. For example, sweet and sour pork ribs (pork ribs deep fried in a very light batter), wonton noodle soup, chow mein, Yeung chow fried rice, char siu (cantonese roast pork), Pork ribs in black bean sauce.

I also agree that what Chinese people like to eat is not available in a typical chinese takeaway. When I was a kid growing up in Hong Kong, being taken to have dim sums (dim sum is a collective name given to a huge variety of dishes (typically in small portions, including pastries, steamed dumplings, steamed buns, deep fried dishes etc) in restaurants on Sunday was a massive treat. In the UK, dim sums like these are not available from typical take aways, and can only be ordered in restuarants in Chinatown such as the Chinatown in Manchester, hence they are very popular with Chinese families who like to enjoy dim sums on sundays

Having said that, Cantonese cuisine is only one of the regional cuisines in China. China is a big country and different regions in China have their own cuisines, as Cantonese person myself, I have not tried cuisines from Beijing or Shanghai, and therefore it is possible that a chinese person from mainland China might not have tried cantonese dishes.