Corker's shop on the Moor

A colleague of mine owns a parrot that used to live in the Corker's fruit shop on the Moor. He thinks it came from Central America some time between 1920 and 1930.

Can anyone remember the parrot or the shop or knows any more about the parrot?

My mother went to Halfway school with another of the same Corker family who lived on Birley Moor Road, Frecheville. They had a shop there too.

I remember Corkers on Chapel Walk,fruit and veg shop it was, was that the same family?

Wasnt there a corkers fruit shop on the shopping parade at frecheville too many years ago?

It seems that the parrot was in the Corker's fruit shop in Fitzalan Square. That shop was next to the Marples, which of course received a direct hit in the war. The parrot survived.

There's still a fruit and veg shop on the Frecheville shops its next to the bakery.

i remember a corker's fruit shop on broomhall street in the 40s i remember it being very spick and span different to other shops at the time.this shop was called morrells or maybe horrans before corkers.

Edited by willybite

So no-one remembers the parrot? That's a shame. She's still alive and well in Sheffield. She still mentions Ma, who was her owner before the war. There was a story bot so long ago about Winston Churchill's parrot. He is known to still talk about Hitler!

My colleague suspects his parrot was originally from Central America and was probably brought to UK by someone who worked on the Panama canal.

i remember a corker's fruit shop on broomhall street in the 40s i remember it being very spick and span different to other shops at the time.this shop was called morrells or maybe horrans before corkers.

This was my grandfather's shop. I lived there for a short time as a baby in 1960.