Grinding noise coming from brakes on car

i fixed it!! looked at the pads. like new. disc was loose! so tightened that and put thewheel on. drives fine now ;-)

The disc was loose? The disc is held in place by the wheel, was that loose?

i tightend the centre nut, then the wheel. i guess the last tyre change wasnt done right. im checkin all wheels today

i tightend the centre nut, then the wheel. i guess the last tyre change wasnt done right. im checkin all wheels today

From what I've seen the discs are normally a separate unit bolted to the hub, and the "centre nut" as you say is usually the hub nut and this is always locked with a split pin.

i saw the pin. should the disc have any movement when the wheel is off?

Are you talking about a front or rear brake disc?

If it's fronts, then it depends if the disc is secured to the hub with one or two small screws, the only purpose these screws serve is to hold the disc/bolt holes aligned while you put the wheel on. Once the wheel is on, it clamps the disc tight against the hub.

With the wheel off, if there are no screws, the disc will usually be loose. With screws in, there shouldn't be any movement. The centre nut holds your hub/bearing assembly together. It depends on the type of bearing as to whether there should be any play (movement) in the hub. If it's a tapered roller bearing, they usually have slight play to allow for expansion of the bearing when hot. This type of bearing shouldn't be tightened or it will damage the bearing.

If it is rear discs, then it can be the same as above or on some vehicles the discs actually contain the bearing. In this case there should not be any movement of the disc.

If you are in doubt we can always have a quick look for free to set your mind at ease.

http://www.G-Tech.yolasite.com

"Four wheels on my waggon, and I'm still rolling along ...":hihi::hihi::hihi:

Are you talking about a front or rear brake disc?

its a nissan micra 96 plate if that makes any difference? its the front disc

Did you get to the bottom of this one Autoboy?

Yes thanks. G-Tech Autocentre fitted me in there and then. Was a wheel bearing problem.

I've had a new car since Jluy and my brakes started making a grinding noise after the snow. I took it in and a mechanic drove around in it wiht me and kept putting the handbrake on and it seemed to get better. Then it started up again and (coincidentally) I got a flat tyre so took it back in and mentioned the brakes. They had a look and said they weren't worn and couldnt see anything and to wait until the pads needed replacing before having the discs changed. Then the salesman I bought it off came and said his did it sometimes and they get a bit of rust on which comes off with use. I use it everyday, not far, but still, should I just accept the noise?

They rang today as a follow up satisfaction call and I said actually I wasnt happy there was still the noise so I'm taking it back in. I feel like I'm making a bit of a fuss though.

If anyone has any bright ideas or advice please let me know!