ES feat. Nic Fanciulli & Reset Robot - Sat 13th June @ 02 Academy

Just my opinion but im sure the atmosphere/sets and everything else were better 6 years plus ago when mainly vinyl was used.

Probably because it was pre technology arrogance when people used to go to clubs to dance and listen to music rather than compare computer programs and generally be boring chin strokers.

I'm all for technology progressing etc but I do tire a little of people trying to look too cool with a program rather than concentrating on the key element that is the music, not the image.

Or maybe it's that we're all from the same generation and our time passing has coincided with the decline of vinyl? Don't get me wrong, at 31 I'm not over the hill quite yet, but it does seem to be those in their early 20's who are developing the scene now.

Or maybe it's that we're all from the same generation and our time passing has coincided with the decline of vinyl? Don't get me wrong, at 31 I'm not over the hill quite yet, but it does seem to be those in their early 20's who are developing the scene now.

I would say the two people who have, and continue to push the envelope when it comes to technology within DJing are Sasha and Ritchie Hawtin, they are both 39.

I would say the two people who have, and continue to push the envelope when it comes to technology within DJing are Sasha and Ritchie Hawtin, they are both 39.

I wasn't talking about technology. I was talking about development of the scene in general. A lot of the 'names' are still the older established names but there is a new breed of promoter/label owners pushing their way through, especially in the north.

Surgeon is a name I'd add to your list. He's played some of the best sets I've ever heard, mainly using Ableton. And as you pointed out earlier, it's the music that matters not the medium.

There are few things more tedious than techno fascists arguing about whether DJ X playing vinyl is better than DJ Y using Ableton/Traktor/Final Scratch. Just enjoy the music for what it is!

It's hardly an arguement, just an opinion. No one is right or wrong on this thread. But, it is interesting to hear how peoples views differ. You never know, some people may have changed their opinion. For now, I'm not in the ableton camp, but never say never.

Sorry to drag on with this tedious argument but I think you have a very valid point here. When I got my 1210's (about 12 years ago now!) I spent hours obsessively practicing. Now I see kids just download a copy of ableton, load it onto their laptops and claim to be DJ's instantly, it just feels a little bit wrong. I agree you can do some great stuff with ableton, but I just think it has moved too far away from the traditional DJ paradigm to be actually called DJing any more.

Another example - say you want to do a spontaneous back to back set with another DJ who's playing on vinyl or CD. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not very easy to do is it? As far as I'm aware an Ableton DJ following a beatmatching DJ can't easily mix into the previous track (without some kind of sound to midi device). A DJ should really be able to have full live control over cueing and pitch which I don't think ableton really provides this does it?

However I agree the most important thing is what comes out of the speakers at the end of the day (night).

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not very easy to do is it? As far as I'm aware an Ableton DJ following a beatmatching DJ can't easily mix into the previous track (without some kind of sound to midi device). A DJ should really be able to have full live control over cueing and pitch which I don't think ableton really provides this does it?

You're wrong. You can change the tempo and there are nudge buttons for if you need to do the equivalent of touching the record. This feature was brought in from Ableton 7.

Whilst in theory you could just buy Ableton and just become a 'DJ' overnight, I think to say that assumes that all Djing is, is the ability to beatmatch. We all know it is so much more than that involved. Someone who turned up and used turntables but only mixed in and out for the last and first 30 seconds of their tunes would sound terrible no matter what format they use. Beatmatching is such a minor part of being a decent DJ that I think it can be rendered almost irrelevant, it can't be that much of a skill when so many can do it. Contructing a decent set and EQing properly are vastly more important surely? If you're not doing this then you'll never recieve any recognition as a DJ and that can be descerned by listening to the speakers not looking at what the DJ is using so I agree with you in principle.

my missus got me one of these last week for my birthday! quite fiddly but fun to play with, not sure how easy once ive had a few pints :-)

http://www.pacemaker.net/

having been fortunate enough to have seen some great DJ's and sets throughout the last 15 years plus clubbing, including everything from seeing Carl Cox mix on three/four decks circa mid to late 90's, Richie Hawtin and Ricardo Villalobos b2b at Sonar, Sammy Dee and Zip b2b at Panorama Bar, Luciano v Villalobos at DC10, Joey Beltram at The Orbit circa 96, Steve Bug and Aril Brikha at Weekend, blah blah blah...

my favourite DJ performance and set? Dave Mancuso at a loft party in London. Didn’t mix a single piece of vinyl together, just let each record run out before starting the next, at which at the end of each track everyone went nuts! No mixing, just impeccable taste in music, fantastic sound system - his own - and knowing how to work a crowd. In my opinion best set I've heard.

Just my opinion. :)