Train to Leeds vs Train to Manchester

its about a tenner cheaper a month to have one that is not through doncaster than one that is for all routes, according to the national rail website.

Thanks for all the times and carriages AndyC and all the other info.

Unless there is evidence that one route is significantly more unreliable than the other then Leeds is still cheaper and faster than manchester (by £100 a month and 20 minutes each way).

This thread has made me more uncertain that I want to commute at all though!

At the end of the day, if the job is worth it, then go for it. You will soon find from experience which trains you prefer to travel on

At the end of the day, if the job is worth it, then go for it. You will soon find from experience which trains you prefer to travel on

Thanks - very sensible advice for an overthinker like me! The job was worth travelling to Manchester for in the first place, so the only complication is deciding whether to go to Leeds instead. there will be aspects of the job that will be different in Leeds to the one in Manchester so its not just the travel.

Another point to consider is the trains home later in the evening (in case you ever work late or go out with colleagues etc). The fast trains from Leeds pack in at about 9pm. Then you are on the stoppers, if you're very unlucky it could be the dreadful one that backs in and out of Castleford and several other stations you never knew existed. It's also very difficult going to anything that finishes late in Leeds (gigs etc) because the trains finish too early (though there is a coach at midnight).

From Manchester the airport trains run all night (I think the last one at night doesn't even stop at Stockport) so this problem doesn't arise. So Mcr is much better if this kind of thing is important to you.

I used to get the 7:12 to Leeds, very difficult to get a seat, but quicker and more bearable than the 'express' service via barnsley and the slow stopping service. I now get the 8:21 to Wakefield, I find I can usually get a seat in the morning, but the train back (the 17:10 from leeds, 17:23 from wakefield) is always packed and I usually struggle to get a seat getting on at wakefield. I think the TPE trains to manchester are more comfortable and a better service, but it's a longer commute and more expensive.

I used to get the 7:12 to Leeds, very difficult to get a seat, but quicker and more bearable than the 'express' service via barnsley and the slow stopping service. I now get the 8:21 to Wakefield, I find I can usually get a seat in the morning, but the train back (the 17:10 from leeds, 17:23 from wakefield) is always packed and I usually struggle to get a seat getting on at wakefield. I think the TPE trains to manchester are more comfortable and a better service, but it's a longer commute and more expensive.

Thanks Harriet, when you were getting the earlier train out, were you getting earlier ones home again too? what were they like?

Of course I may change my mind when doing it, but I was planning on earlier trains out, to get back earlier so my evenings are less disrupted.

Bilge - I guess its a consideration, but I have no idea hw social the new team will be and how often its likely to be a problem. I know the last train is just after 11 (almost missed it not long ago!), but TBH part of the reason of comuting and not relocating is that I have quite a lot of social stuff here, so don't know how bothered I'd be about not having a massive social life there.

I guess I can always try out different combinations of trains, the joy of flexi time being what it is!

Yeah I got the earlier train back (the 16:10 from leeds), it was just as busy to be honest! Not with commuters, but with long distance travellers trying to get the last train before the peak period. I'm on flexi time too and just try to get the best combo that I can, it's not that bad really and you get used to it!

Hi all,

I'm looking fior the experiences of people who have commuted no the train to Leeds and/or Manchester. Prefereably people who have quite recently commuted to both fairly regularly.

I have a new job offer, and the post was originally in Manchester, but they have recently got in touch and said there is also a post in Leeds.

Both office are walking distance of the station the other end and I live within about 10 mins walk of the station in Sheffield.

There are pros and cons to the 2 roles them selves, but I am looking for expereinces of the commute. Is one significantly easier, faster, more comfortable, more regular, less crowded than the other? or are they both much of a muchness. I will be working flexi time so can travel quite early or late to make the journey better if needs be.

Thanks in advance for your experiences.

DM x

Train to Manchester is direct and takes under an hour - there are also loads of seats available whereas the train going to Leeds is often busy, and coming back getting a seat is a nightmare!!!!

Leeds. Leeds, Leeds

Sorry for the chant it made me type more than 10 characters