Train to Leeds vs Train to Manchester

I've never not got a seat on the TPE from Meadowhall to Manchester, can't vouch for the Leeds service though.

I dont need to park - i live a short walk from the station, and there is no partking at the office the other end either, so driving is out in all respects really.

Does anyone have experience of the Leeds trains?

Seems as long as I can get the TPE the manchester ones are OK.

A horrible choice. I chose Leeds. It's was cheaper than Manchester when I last looked, there are more trains, there's a newish service from Nottingham now and you can usually get a seat (although some take forever). There is the coach option (which I often use) that costs even less and takes about the same time on a good day.

Leeds every time. Shorter, cheaper and better trains. Oh and more chance of getting a seat. (odds of getting a seat similar to the euro millions however there is still a chance!)

Does anyone have experience of the Leeds trains?

Seems as long as I can get the TPE the manchester ones are OK.

ive never got the leeds train that early so i cant comment on what its like at commuter times.

however, for general travel, the cross country (i think) fast service to leeds is far preferable than anything going to manchester.

TPE or not, that service is at the mercy of the weather (especially in winter) and if one train is delayed, expect the next train to be chocka as it is the main service to and from manchester airport.

x

ive never got the leeds train that early so i cant comment on what its like at commuter times.

however, for general travel, the cross country (i think) fast service to leeds is far preferable than anything going to manchester.

TPE or not, that service is at the mercy of the weather (especially in winter) and if one train is delayed, expect the next train to be chocka as it is the main service to and from manchester airport.

x

They are very good points Sophie.

Am generally concerned about the comments about not getting seats going either place though!! eep! maybe I'll just have to develop pointy elbows!

They are very good points Sophie.

Am generally concerned about the comments about not getting seats going either place though!! eep! maybe I'll just have to develop pointy elbows!

Pointy elbows, bad breath, stupidly large amount of luggage.... then you're laughing, the wide berth given may just allow one cheek on the seat...

Seriously though, from travelling to manchester at peak times, though not at mornings, was a massive crush and often spent lots of time sat on floor due, the fast trains though I can't say I've travelled to Leeds on them speed right through most stations and I think are more frequent for some reason. Though don't the trains get affected by the vast amounts of line works Barnsley side or would that be a one-off... Hope any of this helps! :D

Bear in mind that the cost of an annual season ticket to Manchester is over £1,000 more than to Leeds. You can calculate your own travel costs on the link below;

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/str

Going to Leeds you also have 2 "fast" trains an hour via Barnsley as well as the Cross Country hourly one, so effectively you have 3 fast trains an hour (as well as 2 slow ones that stop everywhere).

Bear in mind that the cost of an annual season ticket to Manchester is over £1,000 more than to Leeds. You can calculate your own travel costs on the link below;

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/str

Going to Leeds you also have 2 "fast" trains an hour via Barnsley as well as the Cross Country hourly one, so effectively you have 3 fast trains an hour (as well as 2 slow ones that stop everywhere).

Yeah, I've seen the price difference, but I was prepared to pay the cost to Manchester originally.

I haven't seen the fast trains via barnsley - is that with a change?

jkust looked and they are the slow trains surely - taking an hour rather than 40 mins?

This is all so confusing!

Edited by Dark Moomin

They are all direct to Leeds aren't they?

We just travel by train for fun (when in UK). But we try to reserve seats. Can you do this on these lines?

We just travel by train for fun (when in UK). But we try to reserve seats. Can you do this on these lines?

not with a season ticket unfortunately