Suggestions for business name please....

Hi my fellow forumers,

I have today had a meeting to start up my own business doing painting & decorationg, interior design and home staging. I am going out of my mind trying to get an unregistered business name, as all the names I have come up with are already taken.

ANY help with suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

When you say 'unregistered' what exactly do you mean?

If you are a sole trader you dont have to register a business name anywhere by any legal definition though you cant set up in the same name as a competitor locally or you could be done for 'passing off', but anyway you want to be unique.

Think of using your initials, popular with trades, e.g. John Naylor Plumbing & Heating or Hillsborough Central Heating Company, that sort of thing.

But also, consider if you might ever get a website and need a matching domain name.

So what are your initials, where do you live in Sheffield,

Yes I will be setting up a website, and being self employed as a company, I do have to register my business name to HM & Customs so it has to be something that is not already taken. My business will be covering the whole of South Yorkshire so it's not going to be just Sheffield based.

Come on people, someone must have some creative juices flowing somewhere to help me out with this one.

Hello Naylor,

Is your service aimed at being classy / upmarket or good honest lick of paint?

Simon

Hi Simon,

It depends which service will be used, the home staging part will be aimed at the mid to high end of the property market, but the painting and decorating will be anyone who needs work done. The name I start with needs to carry forward as the business expands and doesn't need to be too protencious, but yeah, something catchy that people will identify with and remember will do. I don't want to use my surname in the business name as Naylor isn't exactly awe inspiring is it. lol

You will actually register your own name as a sole trader to HMRC me but that has no bearing on anything wit regards what trading name you register with them, it only mattes elsewhere when you choose a name that can be seen as passing off as a competitor.

Naylor,

I will have a think while drinking my horlicks (it's getting late)

But how good is the name 'Habitat' I know you can't use it.

How about something like 'finishing touch'

Not sure about that now I've typed it...

When I have worked with Architects they refer to it as 'fit out' which is not the most inspiring... I will sleep on it.

Many thanks for that INDIZINE, good to get some feedback. Cheers :-)

Ok then SimonEskimo........

Lol, I'll expect your answer tomorrow.

Thanks

Give us some words that describe your business

paint decorate design redesign form scheme create invent revamp restore renew refresh reveal enhance exclusive distinctive influential home habitation elevation......