Anti BNP demos

Is it not a coincindence that pitsmoor , darnall , sharrow etc are all poor dirty areas to live in? Is it right that as a white person you feel threatened walking around them streets?

No, that's definitely wrong. I am a white person, and even in the first month being here, I've walked through almost entirely non-white areas without feeling in the slightest danger. I did so in London; I did so in Leicester. I shall continue to do so in Sheffield, and ignore all the doom-mongers who would have me believe it's not safe.

Exactly my feelings. I voted, as I always do, and did not vote BNP. I assume the election to have been a fair process and will not therefore protest; if I were to do so, I feel that I would be protesting against democracy which is fundamental to a free and fair society. In a democracy, we have to get used to the fact that we may not like the outcome of an election. For those who didn't bother voting, but don't like what's happened, please use your vote next time.

If the purpose of the march/protest is to make people aware of the dangers of their not voting, I'm all in favour of it. If there is some sort of desire to nullify the BNP winning a seat on the grounds they shouldn't be allowed it - then, most definitely, no.

Oh and by the way, the BNP vote was low in Sheffield (which bucked the trend and voted Labour), the very area where there are lots of ethnic minorities. However, it was very high in areas like Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham which are almost exclusively white. So something else is going on, and I'd suggest it is actually fear rather than experience of actually living with and mixing with people of other races.

If the purpose of the march/protest is to make people aware of the dangers of their not voting, I'm all in favour of it. If there is some sort of desire to nullify the BNP winning a seat on the grounds they shouldn't be allowed it - then, most definitely, no.

Its a protest against them winning the seat.

Hopefully people will learn from this and vote next time. As only 32% of Yorkshire and Humberside voted, according to the Star.

Its a protest against them winning the seat.

That's hardly specific, though. Are they protesting against the people who voted for them, against the decision to give them a seat, or is it just some nebulous, unspecified "the BNP are bad guys" protest?

Put another way .. what result would the protesters consider to be a success?

That's hardly specific, though. Are they protesting against the people who voted for them, against the decision to give them a seat, or is it just some nebulous, unspecified "the BNP are bad guys" protest?

Put another way .. what result would the protesters consider to be a success?

As I said by the looks its literally because they won 2 seats and they don't want them to have them.

So it's a protest against them having the 2 seats, which has been pointed out also means they are against democracy.

The BNP are very good at targeting mainly white economically poor areas neighbouring areas with high ethnic populations where the 'locals' blaim their poverty and poor living standards on non-whites 'taking our jobs' and not their apathy, ignorance and complete lack of ambition.

Oh dear, yet another liberal leftie coming out with the 'indigenous lazy dolie, chav vs hard working migrants' dichotomy or division, it is not only dangerous, its wrong: my Hungarian friend for instance tells me, there are plenty of 'lazy people' in her country, its the 'go-getters' who come here, often the people most needed, particularly in the developing world. One could also ask who did these jobs for many years, the working class did! till Thatcher destroyed their communities and confidence. The new cruel Welfare Reforms will also see many U.K people of all ethnicities competing with migrants from all around the world for minimum wage work in a neo-liberal race to the bottom.

No2EU, Yes To Democracy had a balanced approach and fair approach to these issues, shame so few voted for them...

Edited by gamezone07

Hopefully people will learn from this and vote next time. As only 32% of Yorkshire and Humberside voted, according to the Star.

Doubt it - many stars of screen, music and sport, the trade unions, social organizations and church leaders were all saying don't vote BNP before this election. People failed to learn then.

Edited by CheekyBandit

As I said by the looks its literally because they won 2 seats and they don't want them to have them.

So it's a protest against them having the 2 seats, which has been pointed out also means they are against democracy.

exactly -so i take it that those protesting are in favour of living in a dictatorship where they can olny vote for certain people

The one doesn't prove the other. I'm against the BNP having two seats, and I hope to see them removed at the next round of elections. I don't support them not being allowed to take the seats.

Whats wrong with protesting?.. if the democratic process allowed the Nazi's in, surely it should warrant a right to protest. It's not as if they're exactly going to do much anyway, no one takes them seriously and giving them a seat is just basically to keep it warm for when the proper elections take place.