I've lived in Hackenthorpe all my life (i'm 28 now) and would like to learn more about the place and its history, however there is very little information out there. Can anyone helf me?

I've lived in Hackenthorpe all my life (i'm 28 now) and would like to learn more about the place and its history, however there is very little information out there. Can anyone helf me?
have a look in the history and ex pats section on here,i remember years ago there was a mother of pearl factory down hackenthorpe but it was only like a village then

I lived ont' Hackenthorpe between 1961 and 1975. I lived on Carter Lodge Rise and there used to be nowt but cornfields, a small river and a sewage works between Hacky and Woodhouse. The grassy hill leading to Woodhouse used to be called Sally's Hill, it rumoured that the ghost of a murdered girl called Sally used to walk there.

have a look in the history and ex pats section on here,i remember years ago there was a mother of pearl factory down hackenthorpe but it was only like a village then

the mother of pearl factory is still there!!:thumbsup:

I lived ont' Hackenthorpe between 1961 and 1975. I lived on Carter Lodge Rise and there used to be nowt but cornfields, a small river and a sewage works between Hacky and Woodhouse. The grassy hill leading to Woodhouse used to be called Sally's Hill, it rumoured that the ghost of a murdered girl called Sally used to walk there.
in the late 60's i had a g/f who's dad owned the factory down the lane that led to the sewage works, one summers day me and my mates were down by the works lane kicking a ball about,it landed in the sewage which had formed a crust due to the hot weather we were having,steve didn't know it was sewage and ran to get the ball,he walked home downwind of us all the way back to the new woodthorpe :hihi:

I lived in Hacky from the mid 70's to mid 90's . Went to Carter Lodge School and can recall the old places like Howards, The Sportsman, Drakehouse Lane, Birley Spa Pond.....

I remember it used to be like living in the country....loads of fields which are now housing estates and main roads......used to go messin about down the fileds and jumping across the sewers ....walk down to Beighton or over to Woodhouse, great memories:)

Anyone else remember it as being in the country?

I lived in Hacky from the mid 70's to mid 90's . Went to Carter Lodge School and can recall the old places like Howards, The Sportsman, Drakehouse Lane, Birley Spa Pond.....

I remember it used to be like living in the country....loads of fields which are now housing estates and main roads......used to go messin about down the fileds and jumping across the sewers ....walk down to Beighton or over to Woodhouse, great memories:)

Anyone else remember it as being in the country?

Definitely Lad! We were very lucky to grow up having all that space to play in. We used to have hours of fun jumping on the hay bales and making dens in them, jumping over the river and swinging on ropes. We never felt in any danger and then we'd go home starving hungry and tired out. I wouldn't swap my childhood for anybodys and it didn't cost a penny!!

You are right 100%, we used to go to the Blue Bell wood down the side of the village school with jam sandwiches and and some pop and stayed out all day.

A few old pennys let us have sweets from the village shop.

Television we seldom watched we were to busy having fun, what a shame that children need all this rubbish and posessions to cope with life like computers, tv, mobile phones and ipods.

Bring back normal children that play without money

I've lived in Hackenthorpe all my life (i'm 28 now) and would like to learn more about the place and its history, however there is very little information out there. Can anyone help me?

There is quite a lot of information out there, have you been to the local studies library on Surrey Street. There are also local history books in Crystal Peaks library.

Before 1966 it was a part of Derbyshire and in the ancient parish of Beighton.

It became part of the diocese of Sheffield in 1974.

Tuppie

You are right 100%, we used to go to the Blue Bell wood down the side of the village school with jam sandwiches and and some pop and stayed out all day.

A few old pennys let us have sweets from the village shop.

Television we seldom watched we were to busy having fun, what a shame that children need all this rubbish and posessions to cope with life like computers, tv, mobile phones and ipods.

Bring back normal children that play without money

Well said. We were having the same conversation at the weekend as we took a walk on shirebrook reserve. I remember building dens and fishing for sticklebacks in the pond years ago.

i live in hackenthorpe, bin here all my life so am ready to move on

i think there used to be farm lands and a mill around here, blue bell woods is still there

anyone remember and still go for walks on black lane and sallys hill where the old factory is, between hackenthorpe and woodhouse

there is also a few air raid shelters on sallys hill, people used to say there was a house on there that a sally lived in and died thus people claiming the hill is haunted and that people have seen ghosts, especially where the steps go up next to the factory

the birley spa pond used to be an old roman baths, the ramains are still under the building

there is also the duck pond opposite the road past through the tunnel,

my granddad helped build the hogshead pub a long time ago

i am from the butterfield family on rainbow avenue, when the new road got built my brother got run over after it opened, he survived but still has the scarrs

i went from the original rainbow forge school to carter lodge in around 1990-91, then left to go to birley secondary school in 94 when carter lodge ceased being a seniors, then i left skool in 96

carter lodge school was a happy place for me had loads of mates there

Edited by Speed Demon

Lived on the Hackenthorpe from '55 to about '68, went to the old Hackenthorpe village school, now demolished, then Rainbow Forge and Thornbridge. It was all countryside and we walked everywhere. Beighton woods, I remember the gypsies camping there, we would walk home with pockets full of crab apples. I remember walking over the fields to Woodhouse, the pithead of Birley colliery was still there but we never went near for fear of falling down the mine shaft. I had to go to the dentist at Woodhouse once, I remember his name was Willie Thorne. I must have been about 12 and Mum sent me on my own, I had a tooth out and walked all the way back. Imagine doing that these days! The longest walk we did was down Brook Lane, over the brook and up a narrow track on the other side, it went through a wood and past a big house with cannons in the grounds. Then we came out on Mosborough Moor and on down to Ford where we would swim in the river. When I was about 17 we moved to the new estate at Scowerdon's Farm, there was a reservoir there but it was full of junk that people had thrown in. I have fond memories of growing up on Hackenthorpe estate, it was like living in the country and we were never afraid, we could go anywhere, even play out in the street after dark.