Manor Lodge Discovery Centre - Sheffield

To Monkey Lover-you must not have had one of their leaflets. It says 10.00am to 3pm unless booked for private events and activities. Please phone to check before your visit to save disappointment. I believe that info is on the website as well.Phone no. is 0114 276 2828.

The site is open every sunday until end of Sept 11.00 am to 4 pm which includes the newly refurbished Turret House. This has to be seen as it is now back to its Tudor roots with wall hangings, hand carved furniture etc. A very special place.

Buses on a sunday would be the no.56.every 30 mins on a sunday. Alight at Windsor Pub , Southend Road and walk up to top of this road. Discovery centre is about 200 yards on the left hand side

Thanks Abbie 2.

To all posters on this thread- have a nice weekend.

Manor Lodge Discovery Centre And The Friends Of The Manor Lodge Need You !

Wardsbitter.

To Monkey Lover-you must not have had one of their leaflets. It says 10.00am to 3pm unless booked for private events and activities. Please phone to check before your visit to save disappointment. I believe that info is on the website as well.Phone no. is 0114 276 2828.

The site is open every sunday until end of Sept 11.00 am to 4 pm which includes the newly refurbished Turret House. This has to be seen as it is now back to its Tudor roots with wall hangings, hand carved furniture etc. A very special place.

Buses on a sunday would be the no.56.every 30 mins on a sunday. Alight at Windsor Pub , Southend Road and walk up to top of this road. Discovery centre is about 200 yards on the left hand side

Thanks Abbie, do you know which stop in town the bus would leave from?

To Ouchcat,

No.56 leaves from pond street interchange and you can also catch it at corner of Ladies Bridge facing the Market

To those interested in Sheffield's heritage--have a look at the threads about Bishop's House up in Meersbrook. This building may deserve a little more tlc than it currently gets.

It may not be generally known that substantial remains of the manor itself were still extant until quite recent times. The historian T. Walter Hall in his Catalogue of Sheffield Manorial Records vol.1 (1926) includes a photograph of a sketch of the manor made in 1793, and a photograph of the remains as they were in 1926. More than that, the architectural historian C. F. Innocent, a Sheffield man who used many examples of buildings around Sheffield for illustration, published a photograph of the timber-framed Long Gallery at the manor, then still surviving, in his book The Development of English Building Construction (published 1916, though the photograph is rather earlier). It is a pity that these ruins were not conserved at the time, along with the more splendid Manor Lodge.

No, i definately didnt get one of the leaflets, i had a look on the website, and there was no mention of opening times, so i emailed them. I got a reply back and they said they were open every day 10.00 - 4.00. I'll phone next time. Thanks.

To those interested in Sheffield's heritage--have a look at the threads about Bishop's House up in Meersbrook. This building may deserve a little more tlc than it currently gets.

Are these sites going to be involved in the Sheffield city of culture bid? I'm not too fussed by the bid myself but if sites like this could be brought to attention for visitors I reckon that would be cool.

Hi Ouchcat,

Heritage has certainly been raised with the City Of Culture bid.

How much is admission to the discovery centre and what is there?